We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Attendance Allowance and Tax

Options

Comments

• kittykat17
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    The Tell Us Once service... ?

You’ll have to let the relevant organisations know about the death yourself if your local register office doesn't offer the Tell Us Once service or you choose not to use it....

Thanks NYM, yes I think that's what the Registrar said it was called. Since I'd already notified everyone I must admit I didn't take a lot of notice! Altho I assumed that it would be the same for all Register Offices, that's obviously not the case.

Su
  • Sorry my mistake, it is Attendance Allowance of £55.10.
    So back to my original, but amended, question.

If my Mum gives this £55.10 to my brother every week, does he have to declare it to the tax man?
    He is 68 and has no other income.

Thanks again.
    Terry
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it is Attendance Allowance of £55.10.

If my Mum gives this £55.10 to my brother every week, does he have to declare it to the tax man?

He is 68 and has no other income.

He should be getting a pension, may be entitled to Pension Credit and could claim Carers Allowance as well if he is looking after her for 35 hours a week. (He wouldn't get the full amount of CA but will get extra money because of 'an underlying entitlement to CA').
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,070 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    kittykat17 wrote: »
    When my mother died last year I spoke to the DWP to cancel her pension and attendance allowance and to cancel my carers allowance. I got an 8 week run on of CA.

However, when I went to register mum's death the Registrar told me that they also contact DWP, etc, to notify them of the death. I would have thought that even if the OP's family didn't cancel everything themselves then the Registrar would have done so (or should have!)?

The Tell Us Once Service would get in touch with DWP so that they could cancel benefits for the individual who has died, but I don't believe this would extend to cancelling carer's allowance for a different individual (I womder if they could even easily recognise that someone is claiming carers allowance fro looking after the deceased).

[ I'm aware that the OP has since come back to say that the mother is in fact getting attendance allowance , not carers allowance for looking after the deceased father]
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't want to appear cruel but you've started another thread asking the same thing
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What would your mum do for an income if you give it your brother?
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • missbiggles1
    Options
    pebbles88 wrote: »

AA isn't income, it's for care needs - she can do what she like with it.
  • 10pence
    10pence Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    AA isn't income, it's for care needs - she can do what she like with it.

But if she is giving it to someone else for services rendered, then it becomes their income, thus the brother will need to declare it.
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    10pence wrote: »
    But if she is giving it to someone else for services rendered, then it becomes their income, thus the brother will need to declare it.

And the the op States, she has no other income.???
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • 10pence
    10pence Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    And the the op States, she has no other income.???

Re-read what I posted: if she gives the AA to the son, it then becomes the son's income.

In this THREAD, the OP does state they receive state pension and no other income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport