Attendance Allowance and Tax

Options
terrymoneysavingexpert
terrymoneysavingexpert Posts: 15 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 10 September 2015 at 4:54PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi
My mother gets Attendance Allowance paid directly to herself.
My brother cares for my mum and we would like to give him the money my mum gets.
Will he be taxed on it?
Or does he have to declare it to tax office?
She is 88 and has no other income.
He is 68 and has no other income.
Thanks Terry

** please note this did say Carers Allowance and i changed it to Attendance Allowance, so please ignore comments below relating to carers allowance. and thank you for all you comments so far **

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    My mother gets carers allowance paid directly to herself.
    My brother cares for my mum and we would like to give him the money my mum gets.
    Will he be taxed on it?
    Or does he have to declare it to tax office?
    Thanks Terry

Your Mother can't be claiming carer's allowance - it is claimed by the person doing the caring - i.e. your Brother.

It must be something else she is claiming.

He could potentially claim carer's allowance if he meets the rules, but you would need to make sure your Mother didn't lose any severe disability premium she had if that was the case.

IQ
  • It is carers allowance. It was claimed by my father, but he passed away this February and they had a joint account. The tax office have been told and she is still receiving it?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    carers allowance should have stopped when your father died.
    the tax office doesn't deal with carers allowance ... the DWP do.
    all carers allowance paid since your fathers death will need to be repaid, and if your brother is eligible, he can claim instead.
  • Icequeen99
    Options
    It is carers allowance. It was claimed by my father, but he passed away this February and they had a joint account. The tax office have been told and she is still receiving it?

As nannytone says, this is a DWP benefit. Sorry to hear about your Father, but someone needs to contact the DWP carer's allowance unit and tell that your Father has died.

Have you done that for any other benefits he was receiving?

You might want to go to a CAB or similar, as it is possible they are going to want all of the overpaid money back.

IQ
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Also those over 65 are not normally eligible for CA - are you sure this wasn't part of a Pension Credit claim?
  • Icequeen99
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Also those over 65 are not normally eligible for CA - are you sure this wasn't part of a Pension Credit claim?

That's a good point.

OP - you need to check exactly what the payment is and who it is from as your first step.

IQ
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 September 2015 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Could be transitionally protected and if their State Pension is less than Carers Allowance they may still get a top up payment of Carers and still get the Carers Premium with Pension Credit.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,974 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Do neither get a state pension ?
  • kittykat17
    Options
    When my mother died last year I spoke to the DWP to cancel her pension and attendance allowance and to cancel my carers allowance. I got an 8 week run on of CA.

However, when I went to register mum's death the Registrar told me that they also contact DWP, etc, to notify them of the death. I would have thought that even if the OP's family didn't cancel everything themselves then the Registrar would have done so (or should have!)?
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Tell Us Once service... ?

You’ll have to let the relevant organisations know about the death yourself if your local register office doesn't offer the Tell Us Once service or you choose not to use it....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure