LPG Newbie

Options
Hello everyone,

First time poster, my partner and I are looking at buying a house that uses LPG as there is no gas supply in the area. We have no experience with LPG and I'm looking for some idea what the costs may be like. The house is a 3 bed, medium-large, semi detached, we're roughly half way along the road but the whole village is quite far out in the sticks. We have a 10 month old so it's important to me that the house is well heated, I appreciate that's going to mean more money but I'm looking for worst case scenario. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Generally LPG is more expensive than mains gas, currently around 50% higher according to the Notts Energy Partnership website, but this is with LPG prices at the lowest level they have been for many years.

LPG is a traded commodity and prices vary considerably over time and also between suppliers, for a good overview look through recent posts in the sticky 'Bulk LPG' thread at the top of the forum. This thread also has a lot of detail about the mechanic of LPG, choosing and changing suppliers, and the sort of prices that you should be paying.

As regards how much your new house will cost to run, it very much depends on the efficiency of the boiler and heating system, and more importantly the level of insulation in the property, maybe the current owners could give you a good idea?

There are a few other threads in a similar vein try this link and this link
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd look for a property with oil fired CH instead....
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Macman if only it were that simple! Thozza thank you for that info, I will indeed speak to the current owners.
  • wroenaldinho
    Options
    I recently moved to north lincs and my area only have LPG. To be honest with you the prices are astronomical and its the only thing we hate about our house. I have a brand new Worcester bosch combi boiler but its still £100+ a month for gas during winter. The supplier is calor.
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I recently moved to north lincs and my area only have LPG. To be honest with you the prices are astronomical and its the only thing we hate about our house. I have a brand new Worcester bosch combi boiler but its still £100+ a month for gas during winter. The supplier is calor.

We are also in North Lincolnshire, currently buying LPG through Woldlink (based in Louth) at 20.64 pence per litre + 5% VAT, however I understand that Woldlink are not taking on any more domestic customers, however if you are in the position to switch, then you can get 0.3525p +vat from Extrafuel , which is approx 5p/kWh, which is only a penny or so more expensive than mains gas tariff at the minute.

I suggest that you have a look through the thread 'bulk LPG' at the top of the forum for more information about switching and which supplier offer the best deals.

If you are not able to switch, you can still ask Calor why they are charging you the rate they are (what are they charging you?) and ask them to reduce it.

LPG is a bit like the wild west, suppliers are well known for taking advantage of householders, however when you are out of contract you do have options, and you can use that as a threat.
  • paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've had gas for 4 years (new install to an old house) and it works really well - clean, reliable, regular topups, etc. BUT the game that the suppliers play (especially Calor) regarding their pricing is despicable.

1. You need to negotiate hard. Get lots of quotes from other suppliers and don't give up until the telesales salesperson has spoken to their "team leader" at least twice.

2. Don't don't don't use Auto-Top up or they will choose the price, and they will top you up the day before your contract ends

3. Don't believe that the "one year fixed price" in a two year contract is anything more than a two year fix - particularly if you are on Auto-Top Up. They don't reduce the price in my experience.

Having had various types of heating, I like the LPG - but I don't trust the suppliers.

paddy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport