New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Huge water bills

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Water Bills
3 replies 1.4K views
crockettmattcrockettmatt Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Water Bills
My fianc! and I moved into our flat in November 2014. Our flat has 3 rooms (only 1 bedroom) and no dishwasher. It is in a large building which was recently renovated into 40 or so flats with a shared central boiler. When we moved in we were told the water meters had broken but were intending to be replaced.
We have received two bills: £80.31 for the period to February 2015, then £393.11 on July 3rd. A five fold increase. This amount includes a 'standard daily charge' for cold water, hot water and sewage. Although less than I originally thought it is £60/month.
We are also being charged for the installation of the new water meter without our consent or consultation. Should this not be charged to the landlord or to the management company?
Our water usage is estimated by square footage of our apartment.

Is this charge excessive? Looking at MSE.com the average water bill is £35-40/month but does this include sewage? And should we be paying for the installation of a new water metre?

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fianc! and I moved into our flat in November 2014. Our flat has 3 rooms (only 1 bedroom) and no dishwasher. It is in a large building which was recently renovated into 40 or so flats with a shared central boiler. When we moved in we were told the water meters had broken but were intending to be replaced.
    We have received two bills: £80.31 for the period to February 2015, then £393.11 on July 3rd. A five fold increase. This amount includes a 'standard daily charge' for cold water, hot water and sewage. Although less than I originally thought it is £60/month.
    We are also being charged for the installation of the new water meter without our consent or consultation. Should this not be charged to the landlord or to the management company?
    Our water usage is estimated by square footage of our apartment.

Is this charge excessive? Looking at MSE.com the average water bill is £35-40/month but does this include sewage? And should we be paying for the installation of a new water metre?

The average water bill does not include hot water which yours does.

Your bill could be anything.

Could you post everything that is on your bill and we might get an idea as to whether it is fair or not....oh and your region. Who is the regional water supplier?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • I guess OP knows that water bills differ depending on where you live and how you are charged.:rotfl:
    Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them. :p
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meters for mains water supply(not the hot water you get) are fitted free by the water company that supplies your building. They are also compulsory for new occupants, so they don't need to consult you or seek your consent.

Your water usage might be ESTIMATED on the square footage of your apartment - although that seems strange - but you should pay for what you use; that is the whole point of being metered.

We need more detail. Is the water supply billed to the agents for the whole building and apportioned to individual flats?

What is the position on Hot water?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support