Just overheard being called useless at work, ongoing issue, want to leave

i have made a thread earlier about over hearing my colleagues making rumours that i smell, one of them made up a story and tried to give me soap. While my manager sat and laughed.

I am feeling exstreamly self-concious. I have not had this problem in a previous job. now my self confidence is zero.

I have a customer facing role. I am still new, so i might have been a little nervous because i was being asked a lot of questions by the customer. I asked my manager for information on a product, then not long after i over heard, the word 'useless' muttered. and by another collegeue saying 'they should have been my customer'.
Afterwards, when the customer left, there was a long silence. pretty much nothing was said to me.

I'm at breaking point, I only work with 4 people and they all seem to think i'm rubbish, ugly and now 'useless' at my job.:(

I'm not sure i can work notice, but i'm at the point where i think i should give it in. Perhaps I should confront my team with what i have been over hearing? What would you do if you were me? thanks :)

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    fluffypaws wrote: »
    i have made a thread earlier about over hearing my colleagues making rumours that i smell, one of them made up a story and tried to give me soap. While my manager sat and laughed.

I am feeling exstreamly self-concious. I have not had this problem in a previous job. now my self confidence is zero.

I have a customer facing role. I am still new, so i might have been a little nervous because i was being asked a lot of questions by the customer. I asked my manager for information on a product, then not long after i over heard, the word 'useless' muttered. and by another collegeue saying 'they should have been my customer'.
    Afterwards, when the customer left, there was a long silence. pretty much nothing was said to me.

I'm at breaking point, I only work with 4 people and they all seem to think i'm rubbish, ugly and now 'useless' at my job.:(

I'm not sure i can work notice, but i'm at the point where i think i should give it in. Perhaps I should confront my team with what i have been over hearing? What would you do if you were me? thanks :)

Wow, sorry to hear that, you just happen to be in a very bad place. Id have lost my temper with them by now, I'd just leave, but you need to contact central office if you have one to make them aware of what happened otherwise it may happen to the next new person.

It doesnt sound like your manager will help to be honest. Would be nice if you told us the store if you leave. Hope its not a superdrug.
  • Wow, sorry to hear that, you just happen to be in a very bad place. Id have lost my temper with them by now, I'd just leave, but you need to contact central office if you have one to make them aware of what happened otherwise it may happen to the next new person.

It doesnt sound like your manager will help to be honest. Would be nice if you told us the store if you leave. Hope its not a superdrug.

i'm thinking of letting the district manager know. But i also think i should have it out with my manager about everything... they are nice to my face, but its all the stuff i over hear, that they don't seem to realize i hear it, unless they do , i don't know. I wish i could not let it effect me, i can't wait to go. i ve just applied to another job just now. Thanks for your reply its very helpful :)
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    If you feel that youll feel better confronting them then do it, but you seem to have the right things in mind.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm at breaking point

Op, I'd avoid confrontation if I were you, I suspect it will end in tears.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    It depends on the culture of the job :( Some industries are worse than others. I bet they don't think you're ugly or useless but frankly they are just trying to big themselves up in front of the others trying to be big and macho.
    It's not right, it's bullying and I'm sure deep down you know that. You need to decide what you want to do. Is there another branch/store you could transfer to? Do you want to look for a different job with a competitor or leave your industry altogether?
    I'm not saying you shouldn't complain or take it further, I just feel that you will have a fight on your hands and that given how weak and beaten down you appear to be feeling, I wonder if it would be best to walk away :( It's not right but if there are several perpetrators it won't be easy to sort out and you might end up leaving at the end anyway.
    I'm sorry it's a horrible position to be in. Whatever you do, keep your head held high.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • It depends on the culture of the job :( Some industries are worse than others. I bet they don't think you're ugly or useless but frankly they are just trying to big themselves up in front of the others trying to be big and macho.
    It's not right, it's bullying and I'm sure deep down you know that. You need to decide what you want to do. Is there another branch/store you could transfer to? Do you want to look for a different job with a competitor or leave your industry altogether?
    I'm not saying you shouldn't complain or take it further, I just feel that you will have a fight on your hands and that given how weak and beaten down you appear to be feeling, I wonder if it would be best to walk away :( It's not right but if there are several perpetrators it won't be easy to sort out and you might end up leaving at the end anyway.
    I'm sorry it's a horrible position to be in. Whatever you do, keep your head held high.
    df

thanks. :) I work in retail, and this job is selling furniture. i have retail experince but that was clothes and electricals. I would like to leave the industry and try care or admin. But i only seem to get interviews for retail, and it took a few months just to get this. Maybe it would be possible to transfer but it would be in another city. I don't feel so bad now, the internet does help :)
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Unfortunately some sales environments tend to bring out a certain side to people, a sort of macho culture and it's not pleasant :( I suspect your place is full of overgrown teenagers each trying to outdo each other.
    I don't think having a go at the manager will help you to be honest, it's likely to end in tears, and cause you further issues. Don't sink to their level and don't give them any ammunition. Keep your head held high. Do the job to the best of your abilities whilst your there and look for another job as quickly as possible. You may need them to provide a refence so a neutral 'this job didn't suit x' may be better than x stormed out or x burst into tears.
    Check over your cv and then send it to every care home in your area, saying you've previously worked in retail but you've got great interpersonal skills, good communication skills, you're kind and compassionate and think you'd be good at working in a care home. No doubt you've got plenty of experience of being flexible, tolerant, patient and dealing with difficult customers, all of which will come in handy in care.
    Another option would be to quit this job and get signed up with the temp agencies locally, even if you end up doing filing or stuffing envelopes for a few weeks it could give you a bit of breathing space to recover from this job whilst deciding what to do next, or you could join an agency for care cover, again giving you a bit of breathing space whilst you decide on your next move.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • i think tomorrow i am going to leave a resignation letter in the office, then go. its no good carrying on feeling paranoid and unhappy. my contract says to give a weeks notice, but i feel unable to in the circumstance.
  • fluffypaws wrote: »
    i think tomorrow i am going to leave a resignation letter in the office, then go. its no good carrying on feeling paranoid and unhappy. my contract says to give a weeks notice, but i feel unable to in the circumstance.

Tomorrow evening youll have a weight off your shoulders im sure. :beer:

Hope you find somethign else soon.
  • Tomorrow evening youll have a weight off your shoulders im sure. :beer:

Hope you find somethign else soon.

thankyou again :) i think it would be a while until i get something, since i won't put this company on my CV!. but with Christmas coming up hopefully i can get an xmas job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure