Garden "bits"

edited 31 August 2015 at 4:42PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
36 replies 2.8K views

Replies

• wrightkwrightk Forumite
    975 Posts
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    If I tried that I'd make a pockmarked area that would have to be levelled. The contractors are able to slice off the soil and create a level surface straightaway

no you wouldnt because one of the easiest ways to excavate and level is to tap a stake in the ground get a spirit level,level it to the next stake tap in,repeat.then when you excavate and level to the tops of every stake youve marked you have a perfectly level surface.

might take you a couple of days but would save you £££
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    If I tried that I'd make a pockmarked area that would have to be levelled. The contractors are able to slice off the soil and create a level surface straightaway.

The question is, does that matter?

I said anyone unskilled will take much longer. And their way is only one way: the quick one. Blind it with a bit of sand dabs on the back of the slabs and job done.

Every time I've built a patio, it's also hidden other things, like the stones/rubble I've needed to lose, so it's been planned in, exactly the same as the way you've done your flat.

I'm just about to build an upstand for a new oil tank. Guess what's going inside that!
  • DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just about to build an upstand for a new oil tank. Guess what's going inside that!

Um... Oil? ....
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Um... Oil? ....

Cheap as [STRIKE]chips[/STRIKE] gas at present :p, but seriously, it's only part of the heating in this place, where the locals still only understand non-renewables, once we step away from the obvious wood burner.

Had a quote for a good pellet system: £24k.:eek: Lots of luverly RHI, but I want my jam today, so I'll have a cheapie oil system and a new conservatory instead. Love the conservatory; despite what others say about them, it works for us. :)
  • REENREEN Forumite
    547 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Those properly designed gardens look gorgeous, but I always find myself wondering where they put the bins.

(Mine are at the end of the long, thin garden behind a screen of mahonia.)
  • Reen wrote: »
    Those properly designed gardens look gorgeous, but I always find myself wondering where they put the bins.

(Mine are at the end of the long, thin garden behind a screen of mahonia.)
    You can buy wheely bin screens, though they all seem to look like bits of fence or hurdles...

I was tempted to seek my fortune once upon a time manufacturing hollow fibreglass containers to hide wheelie bins - eg artificial logpiles or rockeries...
  • Hmmm...I'd do trees and loadsa loadsa nice tall trees at that if I had a big enough garden to keep them some distance from my house. With that - totally different/more naturalistic style veering heavily towards hippy-like.

LOL - I was going to say my garden doesn't have a style because it's so damn big that I get a chunk sorted out then I look around and realise everything else has returned to wilderness in the meantime. But I reckon if I hang up a few more wind chimes your hippy style mentioned above would be apt :T

rli3xu.jpg
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have a turret? Jealous, jealous. I'm almost tempted to insert a green smiley.
  • bouicca21 wrote: »
    You have a turret? Jealous, jealous. I'm almost tempted to insert a green smiley.

We had that built years ago. We had an elderly relative come to live with us and rather than build a granny annex she had some rooms in the original house and we built an extension.The tower joins the two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Davesnave wrote: »
    All I'm saying is: people should start garden DIY with something light and manageable, like making a planting trough, or straightforward, like a short path, depending on their strength and fitness.

However, even wimps like me can mix concrete/mortar in a barrow with a coal shovel and carry the odd concrete block. Yes, I have a cement mixer, but very often nowadays, I do things in bite-sized chunks, DIY fashion, with the basic tools (electric drill excepted!) that people have used for hundreds of years.

It costs money to amass some tools, but once equipped, the savings from not employing people soon cover that.

I do know what it's like being small (old!) and relatively weak. The builder I employ for the really skilled stuff is 6' 4" and built like a brick ****house, so he can do all sorts of things that I can't, but there are ways and means.....

I agree.

I have built fences, laid paths, created flowers bed, made furniture etc. all on my own in the garden. In the last few years my husband has helped me to lug things as I have a very knackered left leg. I am a tall, strong, strapping lass and whilst I can still lift flags I cannot really walk with them anymore.

However, there are ways and means. I have a trolley and a sack truck I use a lot. I also do a lot of gardening sat down.

I could not afford to have the garden I do if we paid others to do the work.

My next project is to make some coldframes for next spring. I only have a small greenhouse now and so I need more space. Old greenhouse had to go as me with the wonky leg tripped up and head-butted the glass! This was the third time I have fallen into the greenhouse so we had to remove it for my safety!

Whilst the contemporary style of garden is not to my liking most of the work could be done by yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides