IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Lost Purchased Parking Ticket

Hello,

I guess I did something stupid. I was on holiday in Cornwall, and issued a parking ticket by Premier Park Ltd on behalf of a National Trust site.

I purchased a ticket (admittedly I don't remember for how long), however 12 days later I received photographic evidence stating my duration was 1:36 (hrs) and owe £60/100.

Now I've washed and hoovered the car since then, and though away a torrent of accrued litter.

The letter doesn't stipulate if I overstayed or didn't purchase a ticket. However I'm concerned that I input the car registration wrong as its a new car.

In the past I've just ignored letters and they've gone away. Is this till a recommended approach, or should I consider appealing?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    nope !

read though the newbies thread for a guide .....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

then come back with any further questions ...

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    It does not matter, the fact is that £100 is a penalty, not a genuine pre-estimate of their loss, and they may not have a contract to raise such charges anyway. Commercial Justication appears not to be an issue.

Do not ignore, they do court

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/premier-parking-win-in-court-cautionary.html
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Northlakes
    Northlakes Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 August 2015 at 1:57PM
    You don't ignore PCN's if the incident was in England & Wales.

Look and digest the NEWBIES thread. It is written by experts and tells you everything you need to know.

Appeal to Premier Park and state that a ticket was purchased and request that they check their records for mismatches and state what VRN you might have entered at an approximate time.
    This is the catch with this type of ticket machine and a big money spinner for PPC's.
    Refer to yourself as the 'driver' not I did this. Location details are often helpful as specific rules can apply.
    Note for the future. Always retain car park tickets as proof of purchase. I have also found dashcam evidence very useful for timings and signage.
    REVENGE IS A DISH BETTER SERVED COLD
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And what happened when you got in touch with the national trust?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Thank you to those that replied.
    I did vaguely read through the newbie thread, however I'm familiar with most of the tips, and admit I was looking for for specific in formation about losing ones ticket.

I will that the advise from The Deep, and appeal. In the past I was advised to ignore, ignore, ignore. However I appreciate ruling have changed recently. Reading that link, I see ignoring them is possibly not the way to go. Damn.

I'll advise them to look through their VRN's, but are they likely to care, let alone make the effort to look?

I'll contact National Trust, however I expect they'll have an agreement in place which doesn't allow them to meddle in Premier's business.
  • Just a thought, as the PCN doesn't identify whether our ticket expired, what is the grace period for over staying the time limit.

I'm not sure how long we paid for, but the PCN accounts us staying for 1.36hrs.

I'm just contacting the Countryside Trust as the Newbie thread suggests, as my 5yo daughter slipped on the limestone path in the car park, cutting her knee. This in itself must have added 15 mins to our stay.
    Worth a mention, not that I entirely account them for the blame.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    There's no period of grace as far as private tickets goes.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The parking company's are usually nothing more than agents acting on and behalf of the landowner. The landowner who took on the ppc is equally responsible for the actions of the ppc, and as such who ever took on the ppc should be held to account.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Half_way wrote: »
    The parking company's are usually nothing more than agents acting on and behalf of the landowner. The landowner who took on the ppc is equally responsible for the actions of the ppc, and as such who ever took on the ppc should be held to account.

Really? I always assumed the just sold the contract to the PPC, and they get to managed that land as they deem fit.

So I've sent a letter and email to the countryside trust, however I got a automated reply stating the mailbox owner will return in another week.

I'll appeal to the PPC as outlined in the newbie thread.
    Thanks for the support guys. Invaluable.
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2015 at 8:12AM
    Quentin wrote: »
    There's no period of grace as far as private tickets goes.

really?

not according to the BPA

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/bpa_...ctober_2012.pdf

page 10

grace periods
    13.1 Your approach to parking management must allow a
    driver who enters your car park but decides not to park,
    to leave the car park within a reasonable period without
    having their vehicle issued with a parking charge notice.
    13.2 You should allow the driver a reasonable ‘grace period’
    in which to decide if they are going to stay or go. If the
    driver is on your land without permission you should still
    allow them a grace period to read your signs and leave
    before you take enforcement action.
    13.3 You should be prepared to tell us the specific grace
    period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask
    what it is.
    13.4 You should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave
    the private car park after the parking contract has ended,
    before you take enforcement action

although not applicable in this case , it shows that grace periods are mandatory

there is a further section regarding times to vacate the land after the paid for parking period as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure