We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Many left without wages following HSBC payments glitch

Options
2»

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Highly unlikely that any house payment transactions would have been impacted as the issue appears to have been with HSBC applying BACS DCs and the vast majority of house payments will use either CHAPS or FPS.

Please do enlighten us with your analysis of the last 5 years banking problems by day of the week to prove your contention that Friday is a bigger issue than any other day.

Well now, 10pence and Mersey don't seem to support your first paragraph, and as regards your second paragraph I suggest you reread what I originally wrote, as the part of your response I highlighted above is not what I said.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    ..... as the part of your response I highlighted above is not what I said.

You are right, agrinnall did perhaps, and understandably so, rush to a conclusion based on what you said, which was:
    It's strange how these problems often manifest on a Friday.

I got to ask though which those other ones were?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    10pence wrote: »
    HSBC Business banking customer cannot make faster payments - witnessed this first hand via a client who needed to send funds to me yesterday but couldn't; first the website went down when upon returning no FP allowed.

Well, perhaps HSBC suspended their business FPS processing, but is there any evidence that CHAPS was unavailable, which is what the vast majority of solicitors use for making house payments?
    Mersey wrote: »
    harz99 is correct. A couple sat waiting outside their new house with a removal van had to put it all in storage and pay for a hotel for 4 nights until the £ clears on Tuesday. Think it was on BBC News 24 & Sky News.

Have you heard the saying "one swallow doesn't make a summer"? So we have a single anecdote of a failed transfer, hardly conclusive that there was a more widespread impact on house sale/purchase transactions.
    Well now, 10pence and Mersey don't seem to support your first paragraph, and as regards your second paragraph I suggest you reread what I originally wrote, as the part of your response I highlighted above is not what I said.

Well, by specifically mentioning Friday issues it would be a logical conclusion that you think they happen more often then than on other days. If not then your statement could just as easily have said Monday, Tuesday, etc...
  • lannyloo6377
    Options
    My son, who is 17 years old was due to receive his very first wage yesterday - hes still waiting!

Although he doesnt bank with HSBC (his employer does) HSBC this morning tweeted saying all payments have now been made.... my sons bank account is still empty! His employer have said they will chase this - but as its Bank Holiday weekend....nothing will happen till Tues.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son, who is 17 years old was due to receive his very first wage yesterday - hes still waiting!

Although he doesnt bank with HSBC (his employer does) HSBC this morning tweeted saying all payments have now been made.... my sons bank account is still empty! His employer have said they will chase this - but as its Bank Holiday weekend....nothing will happen till Tues.

It's likely to be because the payment was received late by your son's bank and they don't update balances over the weekend. If you tell us what bank it we can probably confirm that, but if it is there won't be anything that can be done until Tuesday (and then it should be credited automatically). All the employer will be able to confirm is that HSBC have actually sent the payment.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    No-one at our work has been paid wages - I've not got much food in the cupboards and school uniform to still buy for 2 children going back to school on Wednesday!
    This has at least taught me that I need to create a emergency buffer pot of money!!

I haven't been affected by any of the banking failures in the past few years, but they've made me do a cash fund (£50) at home and recently open another current account with another provider.

I also have a Visa & Mastercard credit cards so feel I am well covered now!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HSBC and all the other banks don't care about you or your families, the question is, did they use your money to play the money market for 24 - 48 hrs ??? THEY SHOULD BE FINED WITH NO MERCY
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Are you insane?
    The bizarre signature is probably enough to give the game away but the tendency to SHOUT IN CAPITALS in this and other previous 'green ink' rants also says a lot....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure