🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Default in 2012 stopping me from getting a loan?

Options
Evening All,

First post here so be nice :D

Ok so I'm looking to pursue a career in flying, something I have wanted to do ever since I can remember.

Anyway I am now 29 and have saved £15000, unfortunately I was in part time work for some of my 20's

Unfortunately a have a default on my credit file for 2012 and of course online loan applications will reject me due to the default.

I need a £20000 loan. I have no debts and own my own car.

I was just wondering if going for a meeting with a bank manager will increase my chances?

I am just very frustrated as I have no debts, an income of £22k + a year and will probably get held back because of a historic default.

Look forward to hearing your advice

Scott

I

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think it's the default as much as the amount. You're asking for nearly a year's gross salary. I can't see anyone lending to you under those circumstances, unless as a secured loan.

I'd suggest saving, waiting for the default to drop off and then seeing what position you're in.
  • scottw86
    Options
    yeah ive been reading about max 50% your salary.

How long does a default take to come off a persons file?

thanks

Scott
  • SamGR
    SamGR Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    scottw86 wrote: »
    yeah ive been reading about max 50% your salary.

How long does a default take to come off a persons file?

thanks

Scott

A default will fall off after 6 years from the date is was issued.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When was the default settled?

How much was it for?
  • scottw86
    Options
    it was for £200 and settled in 2012

scott
  • scottw86
    Options
    Sorry a default in 2010 for £200 and a default in 2012 for £1600. All settle in 2012

For some reason they both say current status is default and not satisfied. Does this matters?

Scott
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    On a slight side point -

You will need a significant amount more than 35k saved do get your CPL/IR - and if you plan on studying full time, then you won't have any income for well over a year.

Plus you then need to budget a good 20-25k at least for a type rating.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Sorry a default in 2010 for £200 and a default in 2012 for £1600. All settle in 2012

For some reason they both say current status is default and not satisfied. Does this matters?

Scott

The 2010 default will come off in 2016 and the 2012 default will come off in 2018.

If your salary is £22k and you want a loan for £20k, you have no chance. Either find a better paying job or take on a second/third job to increase your income, or just continue saving as much as you can in the next 3 years and see how things are then.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Scott

Settled in full or partial?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills