Powerleague unwilling to refund.

Options
Hi all, I probably know the answer here but thought I would discuss it with thos emore knowledgable. If anyone could advise that would be great.

Me and some friends play football each week at our local Powerleague, recently it's my turn to book online. A few days ago I booked two weeks worth in advance but later found out that the second date was wrong so I rang powerleague and requested a cancellation and a refund.

On their website, at the booking stage it states (though I missed it first time round unfortunately):

"Please be advised that once booked we are unable to accept cancellations and your payment is non-refundable."

Naturally they refused to refund me, they did offer to change the date and rearrange it but I really wanted a refund as i didn't know when we would be able to play again and it's someone else's turn to book for a while now. They wouldn't budge and I just wondered if they are able to state that once you pay you can't cancel. It seems wrong that despite giving them 6 days notice just a few days after booking it originally, that I have no rights to a refund at all.

I have settled on a different date that I don't actually know we can take for sure (though everyone seems to think we can) but the cost of this pitch is £21 less (because we are using a smaller pitch). i presume this £21 is now gone for good and wasted...

Are they completely within their rights to refuse cancellations within a reasonable timeframe?

Thanks
Michael

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes even more so as they make it very plain to understand the terms of the contract you took out .

Please be advised that once booked we are unable to accept cancellations and your payment is non-refundable.
  • michaelsft
    Options
    Yes, that's the line that I posted and I am now fully aware of it despite not seeing it at the time of booking.

I guess I just find it odd that you can put one line of text and anyone purchasing from you loses all rights and claims to request a refund under any circumstance.

The simple solution is to never book online and pay up front with them ever again.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    michaelsft wrote: »

The simple solution is to never book online and pay up front with them ever again.

Whereas my take would be to read what you are agreeing to! Each to their own.
  • michaelsft
    Options
    No not each to their own, I'm asking about consumer rights and so far just two snide remarks pointing out my error which I am already fully aware of. Thanks for taking the time to remind me to read and JJ thanks for taking the time to copy and paste what I myself put in the original thread.

No mention of a consumers rights to refunds or anything just p1ss taking, condesending replies. Great.
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    Michael, I understand what you are saying, sometimes posters can be brutal but we are a helpful bunch.

As you said at the outset, effectively you knew the answer.

If the boot (no pun intended) were on the other foot and you rocked up to find no pitch available you would be mightily !!!!ed off.

Essentially, though, you agreed to their clear terms and so no consumer rights are going to assist you - they were willing to uphold their end of the bargain, you weren't and that, pretty much is that.
  • michaelsft
    Options
    Thank you Steve for a thoughtful answer. I guess I thought that by giving them so much notice it would make a difference, it's not like I just didn't show afterall which would be the equivalent to your scenario above. But hey, that's that - like I said, I won't book online anymore since they accept bookings over the phone without any payment upfront.
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    If you wanted to you could get into a dispute based on them only being entitled to recover their actual losses arising out of your breach of contract (nothing to do with consumer rights) - but if the pitch were not rebooked by someone else you could find yourself on the hook for more than £21 and for the time and effort it would take, I would suggest that is not a sensible course of action.

Equally, it would take them little effort to demonstrate that it cost £21 or more in admin time to cancel your booking, rebook that pitch and book your smaller pitch.

It really isn't worth your time for such a small sum.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Following on from Steven's answer - could you not speak to your friends and find out when they are available, re-arrange for then and take the £21 from the friend who's turn it would of been to book?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure