🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Late payment

Options
Help me please!!!

I have an account with very, every so often i buy something on there just to keep adding to my credit score. In June, i logged on to make a payment to clear the balance. Made the payment no problem. Then when checking my credit score (for our mortgage application) i notice a late payment in June from Very.

Contact very.. they say that the payment was due on the 5th June and i made it on the 17th, therefore generating a £12 late payment and a mark on my score. They have since returned the late fee, however that's not the issue, the issue is the late mark on my score that makes me look financially irresponsible, despite making the payment and clearing the balance within the same calendar month,

Please can anyone advise as to where i stand with this? I received now emails, letters or reminders from very that the payment was due... or anything to kindly remind me that my payment wasn't due?

Thanks in advance,

Jenn
Credit score slowly improving!

Comments

• cakeforbrains
    Options
    Unfortunately, the way I understand it, this is your error. Very are well within their rights to attach the late payment marker.

You do have a chance to get them to remove it, though, if you speak to them really nicely and point out how perfect the rest of your conduct has been with them. If it were me I would also set up a DD whilst on the phone with them.
    Grateful to finally be debt free!
  • Jennifer_Davey
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I know it was late but i don't feel it's just to mark my credit score like that when it wasn't negligence just a slip. I have since set up a direct debit out of pure fear it's going to happen again.

Our mortgage broker needs 6 months clear on my credit score and unfortunately now this ruins that!

Also, they have since upped my credit limit... surely a late payment in the past two months would not signal an increase in credit?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely you would have received a statement telling you when the payment was due

No one gets any thing other than the statement informing them of the same thing.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Jennifer_Davey
    Options
    If i had the statement i would've known it was due and paid it! I always pay everything off on payday/end of the month!!

Not looking for criticism, i know i'm in the wrong. I'm just desperately trying to find a way to avoid the negative credit mark.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's only one late payment. Don't make a habit of it and it will drift into the mists of time soon enough.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Presumably the statement got lost in the post. Do Very not put the statements online? In this day and age I would argue it's essential. I had a Studio 24 statement that I never received via post, but thankfully I was able to view the statement online to know when payment was due.

I'm also having a similar issue with an electricity company on my Aunt's behalf (she's in hospital.) Overdue notice, no bill received. Royal Mail are making more and more cuts, the service gets more unreliable and expensive to boot and people's credit files are being harmed because of it.
  • Homeagain
    Homeagain Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did exactly the same thing foolishly. They reversed the late fee and said that it would eventually 'right itself' as far as my credit rating goes although I see that my rating has gone right down which is so disappointing. Will just have to wait and see.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Presumably the statement got lost in the post. Do Very not put the statements online? In this day and age I would argue it's essential. I had a Studio 24 statement that I never received via post, but thankfully I was able to view the statement online to know when payment was due.

I'm also having a similar issue with an electricity company on my Aunt's behalf (she's in hospital.) Overdue notice, no bill received. Royal Mail are making more and more cuts, the service gets more unreliable and expensive to boot and people's credit files are being harmed because of it.

You do realise Very and Studio 24s mail goes via a 3rd party before it gets to RM?
    No,thought not.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I know it was late but i don't feel it's just to mark my credit score like that when it wasn't negligence just a slip. I have since set up a direct debit out of pure fear it's going to happen again.

Our mortgage broker needs 6 months clear on my credit score and unfortunately now this ruins that!

Also, they have since upped my credit limit... surely a late payment in the past two months would not signal an increase in credit?

Did you get a letter about the increase in credit limit?
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If i had the statement i would've known it was due and paid it! I always pay everything off on payday/end of the month!!

Not looking for criticism, i know i'm in the wrong. I'm just desperately trying to find a way to avoid the negative credit mark.

I get regular emails and texts advising me when my payment / statement is due.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills