PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Who is responsible for Council Tax between exchange and completion?

Options
My question seems to me to be quite simple: who is responsible for paying Council Tax between exchange and completion? Is it the buyer or seller? However I found it surprisingly impossible to find clarification on this.

Here is the background. We recently bought our first house. We exchanged 4th June 2015 and completed 12th June 2015.

I received the Council Tax bill and duly set up a direct debit.

Fast forward to last week, I received an email from the council saying that although I had told them we took ownership on 12th June, the seller had previously told them that completion took place on 4th June. I duly sent them back a copy of the Land Registry Official Register Entries showing them that we did indeed complete on the 12th and explained that the seller must have told them the date of exchange by mistake.

Looking back now at the original bill as I type this post I see that it was dated from 4th June but I never picked up on this.

I received no response to my email but assumed everything was now sorted after providing them with such irrefutable evidence. However, yesterday I received a new bill which still included the period from 4th June - 11th June although this time it was separated out from the bill for the rest of the year. There is now also a line for a deduction for the period 4th June - 11th June for it being unoccupied and furnished but the deduction is £0.00.

Comments

• libf
    libf Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    You shouldn't be paying council tax in two places at once. Show them proof you were still paying council tax at previous house during that period? Give them previous owners new address to chase them?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The seller is responsible until completion.
    Unfortunately some Councils seem to accept the first thing they are told as fact and then refuse to accept any corrections.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should pay from completion. They have applied a discount for the period from 4-11 June as the property was unoccupied during that time (however most councils now have an unoccupied discount of zero percent). This adjusted bill for that period should have be sent to the previous owners. I suggest writing to the council and explaining again that the sale completed on the 12th and that you are not liable for any period prior to that date.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mberk wrote: »
    My question seems to me to be quite simple: who is responsible for paying Council Tax between exchange and completion? Is it the buyer or seller? However I found it surprisingly impossible to find clarification on this.

Here is the background. We recently bought our first house. We exchanged 4th June 2015 and completed 12th June 2015.

I received the Council Tax bill and duly set up a direct debit.

Fast forward to last week, I received an email from the council saying that although I had told them we took ownership on 12th June, the seller had previously told them that completion took place on 4th June.

You seem to have answered your own question... the confusion here is over when the date of completion was, not who is responsible for paying council tax between exchange and completion.

Exchange simply means that the seller has promised to sell you the property at a specified price on a specified date, and you have promised to buy it. Council tax liability only starts when you actually become the owner of the property.

As previously advised, write and tell the council that as you were neither the owner nor resident in the property before 12th June, you are not liable for council tax during that period.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Seller gave the council incorrect information to get out of paying council tax. Make this clear to the council. ;)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    libf wrote: »
    You shouldn't be paying council tax in two places at once. Show them proof you were still paying council tax at previous house during that period? Give them previous owners new address to chase them?
    Unfortunately this is not true, but also not relevant.

There are frequent instances where peope (rightly) pay CT in two places at once. Just for obvious starters: people with a 2nd home; and people leaving a rented property and buying, whose tenancy end date is later than their purchase Completion date. Or indeed people buying & selling, but whose Completion dates do not align.

Proof that you were paying CT elsewhere is not proof that you are not due to pay CT on the new place.

However, the issue in this case is resolved as per benjus's post. I merely correct here to avoid others from misunderstanding.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,964 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    libf wrote: »

There are any number of reasons why a person may end up legitimately having to pay council tax in two places at once.
    Just becasue you are paying it in one place doesn't mean that you're not liable for it in another as well.

That said, the OP isn't liable for council tax on the new property until the completion date (whether or not the actually move in on that date).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure