We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
UKPC Notice, Should I pay?
fcorry2008
Posts: 41 Forumite
Hello,
I've just read through the newbies thread and still wondering if I should pay the fine or not. I've received a UKPC notice in the post, stating I must pay £100 or £50 if paid within 14 days, as I was in violation of the parking terms and conditions, as displayed on the signage.
This relates to when I parked at a nearby McDonalds about 2 weeks ago, where I was having a bite to eat and a coffee after working late with my colleague. The maximum time is 90 minutes and the CCTV shows I parked for 2 hours 7 minutes. I actually didn't think we'd been that long but there are photos of my car coming and going with camera times, so we must have lost track of time whilst chatting away. I never noticed any parking signs before, but right enough on checking today, there are indeed several clearly on display around the car park, so I was just blind assuming that a McDonalds car park is free if your eating there.
I did purchase food parking there and actually got a second coffee after the first hour, it was late at night between 10pm to midnight, so the car park was empty enough. I sadly didn't keep the receipts.
I willing to except that I didn't see the signs, I did park longer then the time allowed, but the fact of the matter is that £50 seems a bit extortionate for parking at the premises when I purchased food from the land owner, McDonalds in this case.
I'm on holiday for 2 weeks so don't want this to stress me out, my job gives me enough stress
, so I'm wondering if I should just stomach the charge and forget it, or should I appeal on the basis that I was parking on a site where I was a patron and the charge is excessive? In hindsight I wish I'd just left my car at work, it's 2 minutes away, so could have walked!!!
I'd rather pay £50 if there's a risk it could double to £100, as the £50 is a lot for me already to throw away, feels a bit like taking money out of my wallet and putting a match to it, this doesn't sit right with me even though I was ignorant of the signs. These companies must make a lot of money taking advantage of innocent / decent law abiding people.
Would be thankful for your advice,
Fraser
I've just read through the newbies thread and still wondering if I should pay the fine or not. I've received a UKPC notice in the post, stating I must pay £100 or £50 if paid within 14 days, as I was in violation of the parking terms and conditions, as displayed on the signage.
This relates to when I parked at a nearby McDonalds about 2 weeks ago, where I was having a bite to eat and a coffee after working late with my colleague. The maximum time is 90 minutes and the CCTV shows I parked for 2 hours 7 minutes. I actually didn't think we'd been that long but there are photos of my car coming and going with camera times, so we must have lost track of time whilst chatting away. I never noticed any parking signs before, but right enough on checking today, there are indeed several clearly on display around the car park, so I was just blind assuming that a McDonalds car park is free if your eating there.
I did purchase food parking there and actually got a second coffee after the first hour, it was late at night between 10pm to midnight, so the car park was empty enough. I sadly didn't keep the receipts.
I willing to except that I didn't see the signs, I did park longer then the time allowed, but the fact of the matter is that £50 seems a bit extortionate for parking at the premises when I purchased food from the land owner, McDonalds in this case.
I'm on holiday for 2 weeks so don't want this to stress me out, my job gives me enough stress
I'd rather pay £50 if there's a risk it could double to £100, as the £50 is a lot for me already to throw away, feels a bit like taking money out of my wallet and putting a match to it, this doesn't sit right with me even though I was ignorant of the signs. These companies must make a lot of money taking advantage of innocent / decent law abiding people.
Would be thankful for your advice,
Fraser
0
Comments
-
Dark did not see signs, how can a contract be formed? It is not a fine it is a speculative invoice. Go to McDonalds and demand they cancel the invoice, it is worth a try. Have they a facebook or twitter page? it is surprising how they do not want bad publicity. Read the newbies thread and appeal.0
-
Ok so McDonalds could cancel the fine if I went to speak to a manager there? I wasn't sure this was possible, thought I'd have to deal with the UKPC from reading the letter.0
-
Thanks for your advice, I've just spoken the manager and he's going to cancel the notice for me.0
-
make sure that UKPC also tell you its cancelled
dont leave it without appealing it if they fail to keep their promises
consider it "live" until its "dead"0 -
op - he can't cancel the notice: he didn't issue it.
re: 'still wondering if I should pay the [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] or not'
Why would you wonder about paying something you've never received?
No-one who has thoroughly read the newbies stickies pays any unenforceable looky-likey invoice....it's not a f - - -.
Neither should you. Politely insist on a written copy of McDo manager's 'instruction to cancel' to the private parking scumpany, which will include his requirement that said cancellation is confirmed to you in writing, within [choose a number - 5's enough] working days.
Keep us informed.
#
crossposted Redx, apologies.CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET
0 -
well done ... :j
please still have a read through the newbies thread so that you will better understand things for the next time the scammers catch you
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4816822
also be cautious ........ make sure you get this in some form of writing as the dreaded PPC companies have be known to carry on:eek:
Ralph:cool:0 -
If you were to overstay at a parking meter then you should pay, but it would probably be a lot less than the amount these ex clampers, (Denver Clamps), are asking.
In Law they are only entitled to damages to compensate them for their losses, which are nothing. So, the answer is, no you do not pay.
If you appeal, using the above legal argument, PoPLA will tell them to cancel the charge, and they will have to pay for their greed..
However, there is no such thing as a free lunch, so you need to understand the process, as others have advised, get reading.You never know how far you can go until you go too far.0 -
Thanks for the extra info. McDonalds phoned me back and asked me if could bring the notice into the store. When I arrived the manager took the parking notice, went into the back office and I could see him typing something on a computer. He then came out a few minutes later and said it's cancelled. McDonalds must have some system / authority in store to cancel these, he said they get people coming in all the time to cancel, as if it was routine. He didn't dispute anything I was saying, I just told him the truth we were over 2 hours and we ate at the restaurant.0
-
Thanks I will wait to see if I here anything further from UKPC, I'm sure more letters will come through if the manager didn't cancel anything. Hopefully they will write to me confirming the notice is cancelled. I'm assuming the manager maybe emailed the UKPC, or there is some sort of online system he can use. It would make sense for them to cancel it direct, as they surely have the authority as the landowner.0
-
op - I happily salute your optimism, while adding this thread is built on proven ppc genome research :-).
Anyway, you have not been cowed or intimidated by nonsense and chicanery, which is the main thing [also to advise any friends or colleagues similarly afflicted]
Just a point: I very much doubt McDo's is the landowner.CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

