Recent Sky TV & Broadband offer via MSE - con!

I recently signed up to Sky using the recent offer on this website (all channels and fibre broadband for £17.50 plus line rental). I added Fibre unlimited and the total cost was £43.50.

I received confirmation after paying the £40 connection fee and the engineer arrived today. Note that Sky do NOT tell you the agreed charges when they sent a welcome email.

My TV service was installed today and I checked my only account online to see they are charging me £75.50 a month!!!

I called Sky and was told that the offer code was already used and I should call MSE to get it sorted. I protested and said that it was the Sky website and Sky payment system and they should sort it or take it away. When they looked into it more they could see it was against my account but "wasn't showing against the price". The 'back office' staff are all busy and I would have to wait until Saturday for a call back!

I've reminded Sky that I have 14 days cooling off and told them they either get it sorted at the agreed price or they can come and remove it.

I feel really angry about this and feel like I have been conned. If I hadn't bothered to check I wouldn't have know about it until a month into the contract and this would have made it much more difficult to cancel.

Has anyone else had similar problems? It seems really shoddy service and I really feel like I've been had.

:mad:
Happy with my advice? The please use the 'thanks' button vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Comments

• Me too got an email stating i owe full price £70.50 Typical of sky this is. They used to be like this when i was with them years ago....still haven't changed!! Well if they don't charge me the correct fee then i will cancel!
  • Just phoned sky re: my bill they assure me that because my tv and broadband are installed on different days (week apart) that is why the bill is as it is £70.50 when my broadband and line are installed my bill will go down to the amount it should be in my case tv line and broadband with HD pack £38.90. I have asked for him to put a note on my account regarding this call and if it isn't sorted then i will be cancelling. What a stupid way to do things I would have been quite happy for all the installations to be done on the same day.
    p.s. Got an email from sky today that my unique code will expire next Friday if i don't use it, so I clicked on the link and it says this code has already been used! So why can't there whole system be in sinc with each other!!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They send a modem for you to self install , but an engineer calls with your Sky box and dish. Mine, nearly two years ago, had a gap of about a week, with tv done first.

A warning was given that the non-offer full price would show and that the first bill would be different, as payment is usually in advance, so the first bill would include arrears back to installation and a month in advance.
  • As explained above the mse offer is dependant on the phone abdominal broadband and until they haven't give live the TV will show at full price
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We got hammered with a full tv charge because they installed the tv 4 days ahead of the phone. I am really cross about this. There was no urgency with the tv from our perspective - we still have the Virgin box - so it's just profiteering. Not impressed at all. As you reminded me, we have a cooling-off period so we can consider telling them to get lost.
    Stercus accidit
  • you_wot!
    you_wot! Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could anyone please confirm if the cooling off period is 14 days after the original order or after the installation of the first service.
  • I jut wanted to point out that there is another thread on this topic with a different section of users having the same problem...

I sent a tweet to MSE this morning and they have just posted to say they are working with Sky and that nobody will pay the inflated figure :)

I love MSE :)
  • hello.

have u got a link to the other threads pls.

ive got this deal. bit worried now x
  • Used the MSE voucher code and link to set up TV/Broadband last week. TV installed yesterday, but got to wait another ten days for the phone and broadband. Anyhow I get an email saying my first bill will be for £82.45 when it should be £37.45. I get a similar shock this morning via text message repeating the erroneously high bill. Well I rang customer services and they say they will look into it and get back to me on Saturday. Why the delay!
    I've never been a Sky customer before and if they start to mess me about I will cancel before the end of the cooling off period.
  • Had the exact same experience with inflated first bill and reminders to use my already used voucher code.

Total sham of a company. If they can't get their act together then they should never have offered this deal. This also reflects very poorly on MSE as I will think twice before taking out any ore of offers.

I now have to phone them AGAIN to get them to refund the £20+ they have incorrectly taken from my account.

On the plus side I have the original offer in writing anf if they don't refund the money I will be taking them to the small claims court for breach of contract.

MSE - get your act together!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport