We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: MSE launches first big broadband collective switch

Options
MSE's big broadband switch: Line, broadband, Sky TV, Sport and movies £35/month, or £11/month line and broadband deal...
Read the full story:

MSE launches first big broadband collective switch

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    At my location, because our exchange has no LLU providers, none of these offers are available. I suspect that will apply to anyone connected to a Market 1 exchange.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    At my location, because our exchange has no LLU providers, none of these offers are available. I suspect that will apply to anyone connected to a Market 1 exchange.

+1 to that

My exchange doesn't even have ADSL2 and we have to wait for one of the fibre initiatives to get around to upgrading our exchange for fibre
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Whereas I live in the middle of nowhere (I can see donkeys, horses, hills, and a national park from my bedroom windows), and I can get 80mbps fibre, and 4G.

All very backwards.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Whereas I live in the middle of nowhere (I can see donkeys, horses, hills, and a national park from my bedroom windows), and I can get 80mbps fibre, and 4G.

All very backwards.

Well aren't you the lucky one Bill?:)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,537 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

.....Not so, my exchange is still recorded as Market 1 (or in 2014 speak, market A) ,but has both Sky and TalkTalk as LLU suppliers.:)
  • Mister_G
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    .....Not so, my exchange is still recorded as Market 1 (or in 2014 speak, market A) ,but has both Sky and TalkTalk as LLU suppliers.:)

The Ofcom definition of a Market 1 exchange is one where there is only BT.

I also understand that BTW/Ofcom's exchange classification takes sometime to update - up to two years!

I suspect that yours will become a Market 2 next time they do an update.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,537 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Ofcom definition of a Market 1 exchange is one where there is only BT.

I also understand that BTW/Ofcom's exchange classification takes sometime to update - up to two years!

I suspect that yours will become a Market 2 next time they do an update.
    My exchange has been unbundled by Sky for 3 years already:)
    My understanding is that all exchanges will be classified A or B in future - and when the "new" classification proposal came out it was Market A. As I'm with Plusnet who were one of the few who used the classification for b/band pricing I have no idea what Market A is going to mean in future:rotfl:
  • Mister_G
    Options
    Hi Brewerdave

It does seem a little confusing.

This is from the Ofcom Review of WBA Markets dated June 2014:

Our definition of the WBA market has evolved in line with market developments:
    whereas in 2010 we defined four distinct geographic markets, we now define only
    three:
    Market A – where no more than two Principal Operators1 (PO) are present or
    forecast to be present, which accounts for 9.5% of UK premises;
    Market B – in which there is effective competition, accounting for 89.8% of premises;
    and the Hull Area – 0.7% of UK premises, where KCOM is the only significant provider.

Market A tends to be in the most rural and remote parts of the country

Therefore I would have thought that your exchange would fall into Market B, having three POs. Maybe not!

My response to the OP was because I tried to enter my Postcode and phone number into the MSE checker and it said that neither TalkTalk or Sky could offer a service. I was not surprised, as I know that we have no LLU operators in our exchange.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Went with TT as leaving BT with YV box its the only option.

Be interesting to know how many people signed up through this.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure