Do I Need Fibre

Options
Probably not but I'll ask anyway.

My current ISP is Talk Talk and my phone line is with BT it will probably make sense to put them together so I'm looking for a deal and wondering do I need a fibre package.

I stream three, four occasionally, films a week fron Netflix. I will very occasionally download a film To disk, I like the ability to download music, don't do gaming, I go to YouTube every so often, general surfing, emails and that's about it. I'm a single person so there is just me on the computer. Would fibre be a waste of money? Would you suggest a package I've been looking at Plus Net with a download of 8mb. I could also stick with TalkTalk and switch my phone line to there

Anyway thanks for the advice

Kevin

Comments

• GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fiber is good & worth it but for your usage the 20GB a month will do & have phone line+ broadband with one provider
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    Probably not but I'll ask anyway.

Would you suggest a package I've been looking at Plus Net with a download of 8mb.

If you can get 8Mbps download with ADSL2+, don't bother with fibre.

At some point, fibre prices will be cheap as chips, switch then, and get a cashback.

Perversely, I am with EE, and it was a nightmare getting everything working the way I like it, but what with the Quidco cashback deal, some account credit for my inconvenience, as well as various freebies, I am quite happy. Operational and trouble free since May 2015, at 13Mbps download speed, NOT fibre.

EE is only for the brave, persistent, and psychological stable. If you cannot survive a confined mission to Mars without freaking out, best avoid EE.
  • alderpoint
    alderpoint Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    What speed do you get with your current line? If you change to anyone else, the speed will be just about the same as it's the same line. Is this speed fast enough for your needs?

If you go to fibre, they you will be paying more to go faster, but if you don't need it....
    My postings reflect my lifetime's experience and my opinion. You are quite welcome to respond with your experiences and option, whether similar or different.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GTR_King wrote: »
    Fiber is good & worth it but for your usage the 20GB a month will do & have phone line+ broadband with one provider
    Sorry but if you read the OP's missive more closely,you will find that he streams 3 or 4 films per week -20GB total monthly bandwidth will not be enuf.:)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The Fibre vs. ADSL question is solely about speed. The overall usage relates only to contract terms. I thought all Talktalk BB contracts were now unlimited - that's what their website is saying, anyway.

I have fibre with TT and pay a (negotiated) £26.50 a month for line rental, phone, and fibre BB that gets 18-24Mbps (from a nominally 38Mbps service). This is more than adequate and it's always impressive to see a radio programme download in a couple of seconds. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure