Guttering issue

Hi All

My Son recently had all the Facia & Soffits replaced.

The house is a semi and were the guttering was joined with our neighbours at the back of the house there is a slight drip,we have had the company back twice to sort the issue and its still dripping.
The company have had the supplier of the guttering out to comment and it appears the original that was removed is some thirty years old and the joint with our neighbour is no longer manufactured.
The neighbour is giving my son a hard time over the dripping but what can he have done any differently,the guttering was in a terrible condition and had to be replaced and he told his neighbour what he was having done because it would have made sense to do the whole run,they declined,
Any idea where we stand with this problem now ??

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Difficult to solve properly with such an older guttering going up to a newer one, Could try a short term fix of silicone around the joint but it will need to be re-done every so often.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    What about that resin matting stuff you used to be able to get to fix rust holes in cars with? Something like that should be possible to make a robust joint between the two even with different profiles.

However at the end of the day the problem is really the neighbours outdated guttering. If they really want to get funny about it I'd be inclined to cap off the end of your run and leave the neighbours to them to sort out - however if you need access onto their guttering because of shared downpipes then you have more of a problem.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    although it sounds like the neighbour has been awkward... they used to have a gutter they were happy with, and now they don't!

Do you think the neighbours are angling for getting their gutter replaced for free?
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    DRP we have offered to pay for the length all the way across the back which will solve the issue but its white and the rest of their house is Black.
    We are trying to be fair but my son cannot pay for the whole house,the issue is they have the money but playing difficult.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    redmalc wrote: »
    DRP we have offered to pay for the length all the way across the back which will solve the issue but its white and the rest of their house is Black.
    We are trying to be fair but my son cannot pay for the whole house,the issue is they have the money but playing difficult.

Do you suspect that is what the neighbours want?

Given that your son has tried to be reasonable and been rebuffed - I;d be getting someone up there with a ladder and a load of silicon.

It might not look pretty (although, who's going to notice at that height), but the neighbours clearly have refused the pretty option.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    DRP
    I have no idea what they want,it really is out of character for them to react like this.
    I am not sure were we stand legally because it would not surprise me if he received a solicitors letter
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 July 2015 at 1:45PM

I can;t work out whose house is white and whose is black but is the profile and length not available in the correct colour to suit the neighbours existing colour scheme? Joined in the middle.

I assume that currently the two gutters are different colours so it wouldn't look any different than it does right now.

Also just out of interest where is the down pipe? Is it on the neighbours side and your sons rainwater drains towards them or the opposite way round and their rainwater flows to your sons side?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 July 2015 at 6:42PM
    redmalc wrote: »
    the joint ............ is no longer manufactured.
    I had this issue recently where the old guttering has been replaced by an OSMA type equivalent .......... except it isn't, it's very close but not close enough. By the time I had discovered that, I had cut the old guttering to effect a repair. I ended up using the new coupling liberally covered with Gripfil and clamped the old gutter, new gutter and coupling with a bit of timber in the gutter until it all dried. Having removed the timber and clamps last weeks torrential rain around these parts was dealt with and no sign of a leak.
    Whilst Gripfil would not allow for expansion and movement of the gutter, both ends of the gutter were in standard expansion joints with rubber seals.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    I suggest people are not viewing this correctly. The problem lies with the company that fitted the new guttering. A competent fitter would have recognised the incompatibility and could have sought a different manufacturer - there are variations from one to another. Add to this the leaking joint should have been located above OP's sons property so the problem became theirs. This is in the ethos of the Party Wall Act - the neighbours gutter had not been disturbed.

Then if colour was a problem the gutter should have matched the neighbours. Here OP's son would have to accept some blame for the situation.

Guttering costs peanuts - a six pack of three metre lengths costs under £30 at Toolstation, and cheaper elsewhere. So cost is not a reason for not rectifying the situation.

I believe the neighbour is correct to complain and OP's son must bow down and accept this.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    [QUOTE=Furts;68892165]I suggest people are not viewing this correctly. The problem lies with the company that fitted the new guttering. A competent fitter would have recognised the incompatibility and could have sought a different manufacturer - there are variations from one to another. Add to this the leaking joint should have been located above OP's sons property so the problem became theirs. This is in the ethos of the Party Wall Act - the neighbours gutter had not been disturbed.

Then if colour was a problem the gutter should have matched the neighbours. Here OP's son would have to accept some blame for the situation.

Guttering costs peanuts - a six pack of three metre lengths costs under £30 at Toolstation, and cheaper elsewhere. So cost is not a reason for not rectifying the situation.

I believe the neighbour is correct to complain and OP's son must bow down and accept this.[/QUOTE]

Could have been a national firm who had items on the van at the ready and no compatible parts to suit but are paid day rate or price work, They may have also believed it was fixed okay and a leak started a few days after, In any event the neighbour is being difficult so in my view silicone it and be job done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure