Help with Worcester bosch boiler quotes?

Options
Boiler is on the blink. We had British Gas visit earlier in the year and they came out at £2950 for a Worcester Bosch 30Si for our 3 bed house with ten radiators and one bathroom plus one WC in the South East. We knew that British Gas would be the top end of the market, just wanted to see what they said.

Six months later, found a lovely independent supplier who explained everything to me very carefully. Their quote is only £30 cheaper than British Gas and for what appears to be a lesser model, a Worcester Bosch 30i ERP.

I'm really stuck with what to do now. Are either of these quotes fair? They include a magnaclean, a system flush and pipework to a drain outside. It's a direct replacement of an ancient combi with a new combi, and it will sit in the same cupboard.

I'd love to go with the independent installer but their quote was a lot more than we were expecting. Can I expect better if we go elsewhere? And am I right in thinking the model they have suggested is not as good? Online forums seem to be suggesting the 30CDI over either of these. It is important to us to have a reliable boiler fitted by someone we trust, but we're on a tight budget!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• pollybee
    pollybee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    This is the spec:

1) Drain system and remove existing Boiler and flue.
    2) Supply and install new Worcester Greenstar 30kw High Efficiency Combination Boiler in same position. Run flue to outside. Connect integral filling loop.
    3) Connect to existing pipework, altering where necessary.
    4) Supply and install Magnetic Filter as requested.
    5) Run pressure relief pipe to outside and run condense pipe outside across step to drain at side of the house.
    6) Run new gas supply from meter to new Boiler as per Manufacturer’s requirements.
    7) Re-wire installing new programmer, and to existing room thermostat.
    8) Undertake full chemical cleanse of system
    9) Refill system, vent and heat test. Inhibit against corrosion.
    10) Commission Boiler to Manufacturer’s specification.
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    British gas are very expensive if the independents near there price so are they ? get other quotes :rotfl:
  • littlepinkbiscuits
    Options
    I've just had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25kw combi boiler fitted last Friday, as the 20 year old Potterton in the house was almost beyond repair. Also had some trv's replaced and new pipework from gas meter to the boiler as the pipes were 15mm not 22mm. Total cost was £2388 and that includes vat.

All done by a Gas Safe registered local business within 4 days of first contact.

Hope that helps
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Pressure relief pipe ACROSS a step!!! Is that wise or am I misunderstanding?
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a similar Worcester boiler installed earlier this year (more rads) and best quote including power flush came in at £2400
  • pollybee
    pollybee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Ahh, that was what I was afraid of. Looks like it might be back to the drawing board with an installer. Any recommendations in Worthing or Brighton area?

Verbally they said under the step! Assume that would mean rebuilding it. Who knows?!

Thank you for all your replies.
  • dgeden
    dgeden Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    i had my whole house replumb new copper pipe work work to 5 rads and a new worcester bosch 29cdi boiler fitted along with everything else specified above for £3200 in bexley south east london i would suggest getting some more quotes
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a Worcester Bosch 36 CDI compact including repositioning the boiler in a better location for the same price. Also the programer was the fancy wireless one with load compensation etc.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    it never fails to amaze me that people think WB are the best thing since sliced bread, THEY AREN'T

Aluminum heat exchanger, full of plastic instead of brass, a right PITA to service & repair
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • bridgedino
    bridgedino Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    it never fails to amaze me that people think WB are the best thing since sliced bread, THEY AREN'T

Aluminum heat exchanger, full of plastic instead of brass, a right PITA to service & repair

Which magazine seem to think they are decent? Are they lying?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure