Probably a stupid YouView question.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
13 replies 1.7K views
RevRev Forumite
3.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
I had sky for years and cancelled last year. I don't miss the channels but do miss the ability to record.

I tried an enigma 2 box but couldn't get on with it. I found it overly complicated and the 'series' link just worked whenever it felt like so I missed a lot of shows. And with no catch up facilities either I found it totally unsuitable for me.

So am thinking about getting an arial fitted and getting one of the BT youview boxes from Amazon.

Thing is if I got a freesat box (they seem expensive around £60 more than youview and no netflix). To watch one channel and record another I'd need a twin tuner with two sat feeds.

The BT youview box says it's a twin but going from the pictures it only looks to have a single input.

So if I get an arial fitted do I need two feeds from it to record one show whilst watching another on a youview box? Or do they run off one feed?

Sorry if that sounds daft. I've just had sky for as long as I can remember and have no clue how not sat boxes work.
Sigless

Replies

• We got a refurb Humax HDR1000S direct from Humax.
    They don't seem to sell refurbs anymore, but see:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr1000s-500gb/huma-freesat-g2-500g

It is GREAT!
    Easy-to-use; reliable; good picture; on-demand & youtube etc.

My OH can use it; she's a technophobe that took AGES to be confident with Sky and she LOVES the Humax.

If you could record with your old Sky box, the connections to the back of the Humax box should be the same. So less expense; no need to fit an aerial too.;)
  • RevRev Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We got a refurb Humax HDR1000S direct from Humax.
    They don't seem to sell refurbs anymore, but see:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr1000s-500gb/huma-freesat-g2-500g

It is GREAT!
    Easy-to-use; reliable; good picture; on-demand & youtube etc.

My OH can use it; she's a technophobe that took AGES to be confident with Sky and she LOVES the Humax.

If you could record with your old Sky box, the connections to the back of the Humax box should be the same. So less expense; no need to fit an aerial too.;)

Thanks. I've looked at freesat but I prefer the look of YouView.

I just can't figure out if I need a two connections or one.
    Sigless
  • Kurtis_BlueKurtis_Blue Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Rev wrote: »
    Thanks. I've looked at freesat but I prefer the look of YouView.

I just can't figure out if I need a two connections or one.

One feed from the TV aerial for a freeview PVR.

However, remember terrestrial (freeview) transmissions are different from sat, you can split, amplifier and distribute a clean terrestrial signals easily for multiple feeds for more equipment and/or rooms.

Also I would probably get a freesat PVR of some sort as well, the money saved from the aerial install will make a nice saving.
  • edited 30 July 2015 at 1:02AM
    RevRev Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2015 at 1:02AM
    One feed from the TV aerial for a freeview PVR.

However, remember terrestrial (freeview) transmissions are different from sat, you can split, amplifier and distribute a clean terrestrial signals easily for multiple feeds for more equipment and/or rooms.

Also I would probably get a freesat PVR of some sort as well, the money saved from the aerial install will make a nice saving.

I have a friend who will install an ariel for £40 so not a gigantic amount.

I just didn't know if I needed two feeds or if they run off one.

I know freesat has more channels but imho freeview seems to look nicer and has more features. Having looked at a load of freeview v freesat v youview type reviews youview always comes out top.

That said I'll keep doing research. I need to save for a while before buying a box either way so maybe by then freesat will have the likes of Netflix and now tv by then.
    Sigless
  • Inner_ZoneInner_Zone Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Youview is just Freeviews version of catch up services, Freesat has is own version Freetime but no NOW TV or Netflix.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rev - you need ONE feed from an aerial. Satellite dishes work differently.
  • Kurtis_BlueKurtis_Blue Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Rev wrote: »
    I have a friend who will install an ariel for £40 so not a gigantic amount.

Fair play, not sure I could buy the parts for £40.00 for a new aerial installation.
  • RevRev Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    almillar wrote: »
    Rev - you need ONE feed from an aerial. Satellite dishes work differently.

Thank you!
    Sigless
  • edited 30 July 2015 at 8:16PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2015 at 8:16PM
    With satellite TV ,Sky or Freesat , the LNB (the bit on the arm on the dish) has to accept vertical and horizontal 'signals' so you need at least two inputs as you may be watching a channel that's 'vertical' polarisation but want to record a channel that's horizontal polarisation , with ordinary terrestrial TV this isn't an issue so one aerial input can service many 'tuners' inside the box, so you can watch one channel and record another, or record 2 channels, from one input, if it has 2 tuners etc.
  • We have a youview box, it's just one aerial point and I can record and watch a different channel. I think it splits in the loft instead as we have more cables than TV points.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support