If tuna is bad for cats,

Options
Then why would cat food containing 50% tuna be OK?

Tilly loves tuna but I only give it to her occasionally as I know it isn't good for cats.

Tesco had Hilife Tempt Me on offer. This contains 50% tuna and is a complete pet food, rather than a treat.

I'm puzzled about how this would be OK for cats to eat if 'normal' tuna isn't.
3 stone down, 3 more to go

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see what's wrong with giving it say once a week as a treat
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »
    I don't see what's wrong with giving it say once a week as a treat

That's not the point I was making though. Hilife is a complete cat food but contains 50% tuna. Tuna isn't supposed to be good for cats and it is recommended to be given as an occasional treat. Complete cat food is usually fed daily.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its the first Ive heard of it.

Who says Tuna is bad for cats....its fish for goodness sake.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Laurensalive
    Laurensalive Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    I had a cat as a child. It was a bit partial to xmas cake. The cat ate quite a bit of the home cooked xmas cake whilst it was cooling over night. This cat lived to 14 years old. I cannot see how tuna would effect this cat as a treat once a week.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    Then why would cat food containing 50% tuna be OK?

http://www.petmeds.org/petmeds-spotlight/is-tuna-bad-for-cats/
    Commercial canned “tuna” cat foods are not just straight tuna, but have other added ingredients, vitamins and minerals as well as the amino acid taurine, which is essential to cats.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tuna high in mercury so you shouldn't eat tuna excessively yourself either..but a little for the cat is fine. You're supposed to rotate meats about so tuna one day, beef the next, maybe a bit of salmon next then chicken and maybe come back to tuna.

Tuna made for us humans also isn't a complete food for cats. Tuna made for cats has additives in it to make it complete. Tuna for us is salted maybe in brine or maybe it's in oil neither of which are particularly good for cats. Again small amounts are fine if you can't finish a tin of tuna off by yourself then go ahead and give the rest of the tin to the cat.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Lily usually gets the tuna bowl to lick out once a week or so, maybe with a few flakes in :)
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As has been said it is high in mercury, it also isn't a food you would naturally find in a cats diet.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    My cat goes a bit mental when I open a can of tuna, I normally get the ones in spring water so give him the fishy water that I drain off. I don't know if that has high levels of mercury in too but at least it's good for his hydration.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    As has been said it is high in mercury, it also isn't a food you would naturally find in a cats diet.

I see cats swimming in the deep ocean regularly when out boating...or is that in my dreams?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure