Sky Vs BT

Hi All,

I need some advice and guidance if you please. I am currently on the end of my contract with BT and am looking at sky. They have an offer on at the moment which works out (total, including line rental) 26.40 per month. My current BT is ~45 a month. I am on the infinity 2 bundle and get up to 78mb but speed tests give me around 40-50mb. BT have offered to reduce my monthly payment for the broadband to £21 from £26 so it comes to about £40 a month... HUGE savings I know.

What are people's experiences with Sky fibre? If I take the sky offer I get up to 38mb (I know its up to and not a guaranteed speed etc etc) but how well do sky do giving the speeds they offer? I do a lot of streaming and downloading and online gaming etc so whilst £20 a month is not to be snuffed at I don't want to only end up getting say 10mb from the current 50mb

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its the same BT Open Reach fibre .
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the response! So I guess the question now is then if I am getting ~40-50mb on a 78mb contract will I still get the full 38mb - I presume my line is too far away to do more than 50mb but just wnated to make sure that its not been slowed by the companies.
  • alderpoint
    alderpoint Posts: 152 Forumite
    What is the data volume limit? On BT, Infinitiy 2 (up to 78M service) data is unlimited, whereas but Infinity 1 is limited to (typically) 20 or 40GB.

A quick check on sky fibre shows some offerings have a monthly 25GB limit, whilst others are unlimited.

If according to a speedtest you are currently getting 40-50Mb/s with the <78Mb/s service, then you should get around 34Mb/s with the <38Mb/s service (allowing for ~10% overhead) subject to backhaul capacity.
    My postings reflect my lifetime's experience and my opinion. You are quite welcome to respond with your experiences and option, whether similar or different.
  • cono1717
    I'm looking at the sky unlimited one. I can live with 34mb from 40-50 as I say I just didn't want to drop to like 3mb. I'll get in deep doodoo if the Mrs can't watch Prison Break on Netflix without a buffer :p
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    (What is the data volume limit? On BT, Infinitiy 2 (up to 78M service) data is unlimited, whereas but Infinity 1 is limited to (typically) 20 or 40GB.)

Or unlimited .
  • cono1717
    The Sky Truly unlimited 38mb one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts