PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

cheaper cuts of meat

Options

Comments

• scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't like liver but I can eat it in haggis it is very cheap and nutritious although not for those on a diet.
    HAGGIS
    8oz beef liver
    5oz onions
    4oz shredded beef suet
    4oz toasted oatmeal{ not porridge}
    pepper and salt
    Boil the liver and chopped onions for 20 mins. In a bowl mix the suet and toasted oatmeal( toast in a frying pan on a low heat) 1tsp salt and a good amont of black pepper. Put the cooked liver and onions with ! teacup of the liquid in a blender and whizz til smooth. Mix with the other ingredients put in a bowl cover with tin foil and steam in a large pot or pressure cooker for 1 1/2 hrs Makes 4 good sized servings.
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • baby_fuzz
    Options
    ps. had some amazing chicken's hearts at a brazilian bbq (rodizio?) once - sure they would be quite cheap to get hold of. Also, fish heads - cheap as chips over hear, a real delicacy and v expensive in the far east... Also, you can get bones etc from your butcher/fishmonger for free, or virtually nothing - great for making stocks etc.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I tried rib of beef for the first time - a really thrifty cut which made a delicious pot roast with an excellent gravy.
    Great post and thanks for the advice about lamb's hearts. I've been meaning to try them.

But are you sure you mean rib of beef? Isn't it one of the most expensive cuts? I bought a rib joint for a Christmas Eve meal a few years ago from my admittedly expensive butcher and it was about £50:eek: Was gorgeous though.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One of my favourites is neck of lamb. It's delicious slowly caseroled with vegetables, a nice meaty gravy and sliced potatoes on top to make a Lancashire Hot Pot. Most good butchers will have trimmed off any surplus fat. You can't get them in a supermarket but good butchers will often sell just the ribs of lamb and they too can be slowly caseroled until the meat falls off the bones.
    Ham hocks are good value but take a long time to simmer unless you have a pressure cooker.
    Pork belly can be slowly roasted until it is nice and stick (or hot roasted until it is crispy). It can also be chopped up into small cubes, fried until crispy and served on top of a bed of mixed roasted vegetables if you want a little meat content.
  • Queen_of_NO_MATTER_WHAT
    Options
    I love Pork belly but have noticed it creeping in price - I think it's becoming increasingly popular as it's often used by "Celebrity Chefs" and it seems the masses are rushing out to buy it now :(

I had some pork belly strips the other night (2 1/2 with brussels and cabbage) they were delish but I felt stuffed all night, the next morning I felt heavy and sluggish - does anyone else find this with pork belly?

I think I bought them in morrisons for about 2.30 for 5 strips, I don't know if that is cheap or not?
    *wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*
    No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!
    NSD Jan 2/15
  • katycocoa
    Options
    Hi everyone

Visited Birminhgam indoor market yesterday and got 3 cuts of meat I've never bought before: oxtail, neck of lamb and beef shin on the bone. Going to have a read through this thread for ideas but if anyone has any more suggestons please feel free!

thanks in advance xx
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    If you've got a Slow Cooker they all go brilliantly in them - my staples for casseroles/stews. Don't have to have a slow cooker though, will do well on the hob, but improve with very long, slow cooking - you'll need a pan that doesn't stick or have any 'uneven hotspots'.

I flour the oxtail and brown it before putting into the SC with onions, root veggies, barley and serve with creamy mash.

With shin beef I just put it into the SC with sliced onions, root veggies, lots of chunks of potato, soup&broth mix, stockcubes, mixed herbs - bit like an Irish Stew but with Beef instead of Mutton/Lamb.

Not got round to using my neck of lamb in the SC yet, but will be something similar.
  • katycocoa
    Options
    Thanks Ollie

I've got a slow cooker which I usually do lamb shanks/brisket/stew in. Thought I would branch out and try new cuts. Really looking forward to the oxtail. Do you take the meat off when cooked or just serve it whole (well, slices)?
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I just serve it on the bone (IF it's still 'on the bone', that is :rolleyes:). It can 'fall apart', but I've found that the gravy that comes from it is really rich and delicious.

Any excess stock/veggies get blended for 'Oxtail and Veg Soup' lol.
  • katycocoa
    Options
    Yes, it was a tail they chopped for me. Think it was about £7. The beef shin was a great bargain as they were selling it off at the end of the day, so got a carrier bag full for £5.

We're going to eat well the next fortnight! And perfect food for the cold weather. Thanks Ollie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport