PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheaper cuts of meat

Options

Comments

• Bunny200
    Options
    katycocoa wrote: »
    I've bought from this online butchers a couple of times. If you buy the packs it works out cheaper and I can recommend the bacon (really thick) and the sirloin steaks, pork loin and chicken breasts. I think delivery is free if you spend over £75.

http://www.meatpacks.co.uk/Meat_Packs

Thanks for this, I've been looking for a meat delivery in the last couple of days (as we've just come back from France and I'm fed up with the quality of British supermarket meat!) so this was great timing. Found a few organic retailers but not really what I was looking for. This retailer looks good, wide variety and the prices are quite reasonable. Need to clear some space in my freezer ready to make an order!
  • seabright
    Options
    Spagetti Bolognase is easy to pad out with grated carrot and/or red lentils if you do it in the slow cooker.

Stir-fry is another one of my favourites - 1 chicken breast (or equivalent) per 2 people, a carrot or two, a courgette, half an onion, some mushrooms - whatever's in the bottom of the fridge really! Fry it up quickly with soy sauce and sesame oil as flavouring - YUM.

Value/Basics - I love the bacon/gammon joints. I put it in the slowcooker overnight, without anything and in the morning it's cooked. The meat is so soft. Then you have a nice big joint in the fridge ready for sandwiches/carbonara/whatever
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I must admit that I am lucky to have a super butchers where I live and he buys the majority of his stuff locally within 10 miles of his shop.I have tried MrTs but never really liked it much.Sainsbobs is a bit dearer but well worth it if they have a fresh meat counter.I would rather buy 4 good sausages, than 8 value ones. I remember the rationing of WW2 and value sausages always remind me of the rubbish bangers that the butcher had to try and sell to the housewife and they were usually 40% meat and 60% something unidendtifiable:):)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi EllieA,

This thread has lots of ideas on making the most of meat without breaking the bank:

cheaper cuts of meat

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • paddypaws101
    Options
    My friend is married to an ex- butcher, so they go to Smithfield Market and stock up BIG TIME to fill the whole chest freezer. She saves an absolute fortune.
  • pegginout
    Options
    google abattoirs to see if you have one nearby.
    We have and we go about once every 2 months for our meat, its fab, cheap & fresh x
    :money: Martin Lewis Rocks!:money:
  • broggsy
    Options
    google westin gourmet

top quality and cheap especially if you join with your mates to get rid of postal charges
  • Jacey53
    Jacey53 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you make pork, lamb or beef curry try adding cooked potatoes too. It stretches the meat and tastes really good.
    Following the advice on this site, i started adding lentils to any mince dish - a small proportion at first then increasing. I now make my shepherds pie and chilli mix with mince, lentils, tomatoes, onions, peppers, sweetcorn and anything else I have lying around. I make a mince cobbler or pie with the above mix too.
    I add mushrooms and onion to any chicken dish and occasionally make a steak & kidney pud, again with onions and mushrooms, but also with big chunks of carrot.
    Sealed Pot challenge 2011 member 1051 - aiming for £365
    Frugal living challenge 2011 £4044 or less!
    Make £11,000 in 2011 £0/£11,000
    Planning a hand-made Christmas 2011
  • Jacey53
    Jacey53 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Also meant to add - as Celyn says, add lots of thick gravy to everything - it makes the meal taste meatier.
    Sealed Pot challenge 2011 member 1051 - aiming for £365
    Frugal living challenge 2011 £4044 or less!
    Make £11,000 in 2011 £0/£11,000
    Planning a hand-made Christmas 2011
  • tcr_3
    tcr_3 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Being a Scottish person (although living "doon south"), let me let you into a wee secret. Scots judge butchers/supermarkets on two criteria, fail on either and the whole shop's rubbish plus absolutely everything in it.

1. How good is their mince ?
    2. How good are their rolls ?

Now you maybe think that's daft, damning an entire supermarket chain on only two items. But that's what Scottish persons do. It's a tradition, it's like cleaning the entire house from top to bottom for no apparent reason on Hogmanay.

So here's my take.

Asda=fail/fail. Tesco=Catastrophic fail on both counts. Sainsburys=pass/fail. Morrisons=pass/pass.

But. You've then got to work into the equation the snob factor. Because NO-ONE in Scotland buys their meat from a supermarket. NO-ONE WHATSOEVER. I don't know why they even display meat in Scottish supermarkets, they'd be quicker just taking the poor cow from the field and putting it straight in a skip. Because everyone in Scotland buys their meat from some obscure butchers you've never heard of. In fact, I think there's some secret Scottish persons in this very thread :p

Anyhows. Now that we're "down here" it's Morrisons for us. They do lovely brisket joints which come out the slow cooker absolutely perfect, which could feed an army and which are as cheap as chips.
    I no longer contribute to the Benefits & Tax Credits forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure