GREAT 'WHAT SHOPS DON'T WANT US TO KNOW" HUNT

Options

Comments

• tullula_2
    tullula_2 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    Hi troolydolly- my friend works in the executive sales and is allocated a country ie (spain) to sell off cheap last minute hols abroad -min stay 14 dayd and they are allowed to sell at the highest price they can get away with over and above the price they are given.:D
    Happy to be here.:D :hello:
  • alyssa_mae
    alyssa_mae Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    NicoleMC wrote:
    I used to work for Next several years ago, when we were getting ready for a sale we had to mark all the sale clothes down on the shop floor without actually being in sale mode. To make it easier we used to write the new sale price in pencil on the back of the price ticket so that it would then be easier to write up the big sales ticket. If something is being reduced to eg £14.99, then on the back of the little white ticket you would write 149. We used to do this several days before the sale started, and if a customer twigged that the item was about to be reduced we could be persuaded to sell it at the sales price. The thinking being that you could buy it full price, return it when the sale began anyway and then rebuy it so you might as well sell it at the sale price.
    I have been told that in Gap if you buy something that is then reduced within a couple of weeks, you can take in your receipt and get the differnce refunded.

My cousin bought a coat in gap last year. it was reduced 3 times and 3 times she took it back and got it reduced. she bought it for £80 and in the end paid £20. so don't be afraind to take things back after they have been reduced.
    HOW MUCH ?
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alyssa_mae wrote:
    My cousin bought a coat in gap last year. it was reduced 3 times and 3 times she took it back and got it reduced. she bought it for £80 and in the end paid £20. so don't be afraind to take things back after they have been reduced.

Wish M&S did this it's so annoying at Christmas to kit out the kids and in Jan sales the stuff is half price!!:mad:
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• scroogey
    scroogey Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    3) Leave Costco to go to cinema. But go into W H Smith first - my XYL always buys at least one mag. Now W H Smith have a strange offer - buy the Daily Telgraph at 40p and get £1 off any mag priced over £1. So we buy several mags and ONE Telegraph. At the till we say to the salesperson - we want to pay for X Telegraphs but we don't want them! (Where X equals the number of mags you buy priced at over £1 each). So they just scan the Telegraph that number of times and you get multiple discount. So tonight we bought 4 mags over £1 - paid 4 x 40p (£1.60) for the Telegraphs and got £4 off the total!!!!
    I think this is changing slightly so you can only buy one paper per transaction but I'll double check when I'm next at work, the very first time they did the promotion they did a £1 off ANY mag with a Daily Mail so that must have lost them a bit of money with the TV Choice and Whats on Tv readers.
    Also if you hate be asked if you want 1/2 price chocolate (or whatever the offer is) whenever you buy a Mag or Paper please complain to customer services. In my store we hate having to push this onto people but because "Nobody Complains" (from a Big Cheese) we have to ask.I'd much rather let people decide for themselves and bring it to me.
  • amyd_3
    amyd_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Concert tickets

This isn't to save money, but an idea to get better seats at concerts. The last 2 concerts i went to I was within 4 rows from the front - so much better than when i was sat at the very back row of the second teir of a justin timberlake concert (if you've ever been to the MEN arena, you'll know what i mean - he could have been someone else for we knew he was that far away!)... :-)

anyway, I've found that sometimes before a concert they send out letters to random people (past customers) offering preferential seating - i don't think there was a code on it or anything, they just set a date, usually a few days before the tickets are released to the general public, where you can book your tickets first.

So if theres any concerts you want to go to, check the date that the tickets are due to go on sale and then try phoning up a few days before and just say that you've been sent a letter saying that you could buy tickets before the release for preferential seating - but say you've lost the letter so you can't remember which date it said. Also, if this doesn't work, always try phoning up 5 or 10 minutes before the time the tickets are supposed to go on sale - thats how i snagged good seats last time! At bit sneaky, but it can usually pay off!

Also, if you want to make some money to pay for the concert you could buy some extra tickets (i think your allowd 6-8 per household) and sell them on ebay for a profit - you should have seen what Cream tickets were selling for (some clever ppl must have made a fortune!)

Hope that helps someone!
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amyd wrote:
    Concert tickets

Also, if you want to make some money to pay for the concert you could buy some extra tickets (i think your allowd 6-8 per household) and sell them on ebay for a profit - you should have seen what Cream tickets were selling for (some clever ppl must have made a fortune!)

Hope that helps someone!

Selling tickets on Ebay may be a serious no no now. Read the following thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=54435
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • corsa-i-can
    corsa-i-can Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    most ppl probably know this but the amount of ppl that dont i see everyday is massive
    when items are reduced at somerfiled the buy one get one free still works, as long as there is 2 of them obviosly lol
  • pdrg
    pdrg Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I think times are changing as I work for a certain company who to be honest have changed things so that the sales person doesnt really benefit from selling warranties. Most people think that staff who work in electrical retail shops are on a killing in commision but this just isnt true anymore, its hardlyt worth the time now

Nooo - the staff always got a few percent of nothing much, but the store's Manager gets a store bonus, and this is one of the metrics - that's why he pushes so hard! To clatify for everyone, you'll never get a discount on a warranty itself, but you can/could use it as leverage for a discount on the product as the manager had to hit warranty targets, even if it meant comprimising goods sales.

Differs chain to chain somewhat I guess.

Remember - minimum wage is a company's way of telling you that if they could legally pay you less, they would ;-)
  • bristolboy25
    bristolboy25 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Breville are absolutely terrible, I had a sandwich toaster which is just so rubbish and I e-mailed them and they reckon that they made it 15 years ago and I only bought it in Index about 4 years ago but they would not have it!!! I asked them to let me know next time an eight year old went into Index to buy a sandwich toaster for their new house!

I think that the new sandwich toaster are far better now but mine won't shut properly, leaks the filling everywhere and is virtually impossible to clean properly and I have only used it a handful of times for that very reason.

Usually I find that it always worth trying an e-mail or letter to the manufacturer as they like to keep their customers happy and think that by making one person happy they will tell others who will then purchase their products (the mushroom effect apparantly)! Just make a big deal and offer to send the item back to them and they will normally tell you not to bother and send you a replacement (within reason).
  • jezza1O1
    jezza1O1 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    amyd wrote:
    Concert tickets

Money saving at the expense of profit hungry corporations may seem good fun but doing it at the expense of genuine music loving fans just seems mean. The sooner ticket touting is outlawed the better. People who order extra tickets for the sole purpose of selling them on are depriving genuine fans of reasonably priced seats and to be honest morally puts them in the same league as the profit hungry corporations. Touts offer no added value and the profits they take is pure exploitation.

Encouraging others to do this seems to go against the ethos of this whole site.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport