MSE News: How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

in Phones & TV
127 replies 19.4K views
BT broadband, home phone and TV customers will be hit with price hikes of up to 7% from 20 September...
Read the full story:

How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• good old bt this really should not be allowed upping prices twice within 3 months
  • "Unlimited anytime calls (if you signed up on or before 20 June 2014): £17.95/month, up from £7.45/month." - that has to be a mistake, surely?
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish the writer understood about "contracts!"- the contract with BT doesn't end - you merely move onto "standard" cancellation notice conditions eg 14 days, 31 days etc AFTER your agreed tie in period ends.
  • PeterOHanrahanrah - Thanks for flagging that typo, it should say £7.95/month, not £17.95/month.This has now been corrected in the article.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question is for those on BT line rental can they not sign up to the advanced line rental and save 10% + the price increase .
  • glentoran99glentoran99 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I wish the writer understood about "contracts!"- the contract with BT doesn't end - you merely move onto "standard" cancellation notice conditions eg 14 days, 31 days etc AFTER your agreed tie in period ends.

Think you've misunderstood, The increase means you can get out of said contract
  • jay1181jay1181 Forumite
    158 Posts
    I im just off the phone to bt re the 30days notice to leave and i asked them politely if they could match the 12 a month deal from sse. They said no but they did match the free for 2 years broadband but they could not match the line rental which will be 17.00.

I have went ahead with this because i have also ordered a new separate line from sse with the 12 offer so even adding the 2 together i am paying less for 2 lines than 1 that give me 20 meg odd each download which will mean faster internet for us here. (We live in a type of valley no freeview and very few providers would cover our exchange now that sse does we are happy as we have a choice)

It may be worth asking all they could say is no.
  • Simply_TedSimply_Ted Forumite
    230 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I had an online chat with BT about the increases and was told that I had 14 days to leave without penalty if not happy. I have just taken out a new package on 1st July so not happy with increases. Then saw the OFCEM article:

However, it’s worth noting that recent guidelines brought into force by Ofcom mean that customers who are unhappy with the price rises can cancel their contract without paying penalty charges if they contact BT with 30 days of receiving a letter detailing the changes.

Went back on the chat line to point out their error..
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think you've misunderstood, The increase means you can get out of said contract

..haven't misunderstood -if you look at the "tips" eg 1. & 3.- it refers to " near or beyond the end of your contract" - the point I was making, is that you are still in contract ,but have moved onto standard terms for cancellation ie no penalties -I realise that the price increase letter means that you can leave without penalty in this case EVEN IF you are still in a minimum term committment.:)
  • dave76dave76 Forumite
    252 Posts
    dont know how angry to be given I moved to BT a few months ago and got 80 quido cashback and 125 sainsburys voucher :D I assume they cannot claw back those incentives if I cancelled due to the new price hike?

I also took out line rental saver so dont suffer from rental hike yet, just BB increases (£1.20/month). Can you get back the rest of the years one off line rental payment if you cancel early due to price hikes?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides