Doggy Bum Gland

Options
My lovely king charles spaniel is 8 and a half, and is getting rather stinky in his middle age. The vet emptied his anal gland for the first time about 4 weeks ago, it made a big difference, but the smell is building up again.

Planning on walking him to the vets again this week to sort the anal gland, hoping to be able to do this myself, after watching the professionals.

Anyone else have experience with this? Tips please.
:j got married 3rd May 2013 :beer:

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Youtube is your friend for things like this.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Youtube is your friend for things like this.

no it isn't, your vet is your friend. Ok, you might have to pay on this occasion, but generally one of the veterinary nurses should be able to show you this time how to do the task yourself in future. the first time you do it yourself, you will probably make a bit of a mess, and your doggie will need his botty bathed afterwards - if it doesn't make you feel sick while you are doing it, you are a braver person than me.

Mind you the vet does need to know if it has to be done VERY frequently. 3 or 4 times a year is about normal, more than that indicates a problem. Try giving your dog a touch more fibre - a light sprinkling of oats on his dindins might help - cos slightly bigger poo squishes the gland as it comes out, and helps to clear them more naturally.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given the option of attempting this at home after having watched it once at the Vets or after also watching different people demonstrating it on Youtube, I'd go for the multiple viewings.
  • danih
    danih Posts: 454 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Planning to stick to the vets for my viewings - best to watch in person I think. I have a very good vets practice thankfully. Think its going to be a 2 person job. Max is generally very placid - but he does not like that area being explored! On our first go, I held, Vet emptied, Max tried to eat the vet! My husband is a nurse, but a v easily turned one. So reckon he will hold with me squeezing :eek:

I'll try the oats and fibre idea. Would prefer not to be doing this squeeze once a month.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I used to do that on my own - it is possible once the dog gets used to the procedure - but two people are best. as you say, one to hold and reassure the dog and one at the 'business end'.
    and I would get the vet to 'train you'. ours was brilliant and she was happy to do this. otherwise youtube will show you how and as long as you are gently and careful it should be possible for owners to do this.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The nurse at my vets surgery empties anal glands free of charge...what an awful job it must be! My dogs used to have problems in the anal area but it cleared up once we changed the dog food.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Groomers might work out cheaper than a trip to the Vets :money:
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • danih
    danih Posts: 454 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Will stick to Vets rather then groomers. My husband's cousin grooms my boys, but she is bout 40 minutes drive away. The vets is just a short walk, much handier. They are very good about price, and at showing you how to do stuff like this. Plus they know how Max handles check-ups, jabs etc, so will be very clued into his reaction to his glands being done.

So grateful for a good vet!!!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Take a clothes peg for your nose, - our spaniel has it ocassionally, we know it playing up as he drags his bum over the floor, our last Spaniel was at the Vets about twice a yr for the emptying out x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Pro Fibre from Amazon is good - our vet recommended it. Ours are also on a raw diet - where our beagle girl needed them doing every couple of months, it's now once or twice a year. Apparently she has strange shaped glands which will never be 100% 'good' - but things have improved considerably. She's 10 now so we don't want to put her through an operation.
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills