We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Monkey Puzzle Tree

kimbyanne
kimbyanne Posts: 303 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I have inherited a Monkey Puzzle Tree. Its about 12 years old and has been potted all it's life. Its now over 7ft tall (including pot) and seems to be very healthy, green (no browning) and new growth.

My question is, can it simply stay in its pot for the foreseeable future or should I plant it? I know they don't like being moved so I am not sure what is best!

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well, I have one in a pot that has been there about 14 years (maybe nearly 20). Its twin I planted some five years ago. The twin is twice the size now, healthy, green and growing. The one in a pot is.... beginning to suffer, brown "fingertips", and the topknot (if you have one, you'll know what I mean) is just not vibrant. It's a 30 or 40 litre pot.

So, I guess you should be planning on potting into a large pot, or planting soon. I intend to plant mine pretty much as soon as the current round of house buying is completed. Or, wife can just bury me instead! :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,198 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Beware, monkey puzzle trees grow to be huge, unless you have baronial estate not one to be be planted in open ground

They will beat leylandii
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    Beware, monkey puzzle trees grow to be huge, unless you have baronial estate not one to be be planted in open ground

They will beat leylandii

A friend of mine has one. She has a decent-sized garden, but she's no baroness. Given her current age, I think she's safe enough. ;)

As for leylandii, it's not clear how tall they'll grow, but the larger specimens are well over 100' and still growing.

The good news is that they often fall over long before reaching that height. :)
  • DaftyDuck
    The one I have in a pot has a white, waxy growth at the base, rather like a blob of candle wax, size of a small (!) table tennis ball. Any ideas?

Monkey puzzles certainly grow slow to start with. Then they grow fast. Very fast.

But, carrying the one in a pot about.... OUCH! Certainly puzzled me!
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would love to have space in my garden for one, they are beautiful and there are many of them in the gardens of the (much grander) houses near me. How lovely to own one.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Warning: Monkey Puzzles can become addictive...

https://monkeypuzzletrees.wordpress.com/

Like those confounded cards, one has to collect them all!
  • DaftyDuck
    Dave, as a sleep-deprived, OCD gardener with a(!) monkey puzzle tree.... Gah.... Curse you, damn you.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure