Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Transferring property

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
27 replies 6.4K views
sabelusabelu Forumite
1.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Hi,
Is it simple to transfer ownership of property through the land registry using a TR1 and what costs/duties are payable?
It pays to challenge

Replies

• Land_RegistryLand_Registry Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    4.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It can be straightforward and our online guidance links you to the registration requirements inc forms and fees for applying

There are though often wider issues to consider around a sale or transfer to a family member and these are best considered with a legal/financial adviser
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • rabialionesrabialiones Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    hi, sorry to hi-jack thread , but i have been looking at this as well, when selling to family member, can it just be done this way instead of having to pay exorbitant solicitors fees
    Nice to save.
  • sabelusabelu Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    hi, sorry to hi-jack thread , but i have been looking at this as well, when selling to family member, can it just be done this way instead of having to pay exorbitant solicitors fees

you hi jack away no prob
    It pays to challenge
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did a transfer on death of registered owner and a transfer to my name no problems .
    Follow the online advice and LR has a forum .
    Read the info at least twice and print off 2 copies of the forms so as you can be sure the finished article is correct tick instead of x etc .
  • Land_RegistryLand_Registry Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    4.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The forms and registration process can appear very straightforward and some people do complete the process themselves - using a solicitor or conveyancer is not compulsory.

However they are familiar with the processes involved and where monies are changing hands you need to ensure that is done securely and correctly. Where a lender is also involved they will insist on your using a professional as the risk of fraud, to them. for example is lessened.

The fees can appear exorbitant but you are paying for their professional expertise and experience and with the added bonus that if something does go wrong you have someone other than yourself who is culpable

The choice though is entirely yours where no mortgage lender is involved
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • marbellamarbella Forumite
    842 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a mortgage and wanted to transfer ownership to my son, would this just be straightforward.. Thanks
  • zygurat789zygurat789 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    marbella wrote: »
    I don't have a mortgage and wanted to transfer ownership to my son, would this just be straightforward.. Thanks

It could prove to be expensive.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    marbella wrote: »

The transfer should be straight forward, but there could be serious complications associated with your reasons for doing this.
  • marbellamarbella Forumite
    842 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok it might be a good idea to talk to my solicitor first. Thanks for the advice
  • zygurat789zygurat789 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    sabelu wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is it simple to transfer ownership of property through the land registry using a TR1 and what costs/duties are payable?

So what was your reason for wanting to do this?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
This discussion has been closed.