Flight cancelled,am I entitled to claim for lost hotel days & from which company?

Our holiday was booked via Virgin Holidays to Mauritius, they use Air Mauritius. We had a call this morning to say that due to technical/operational difficulties that our evening flight had to be cancelled. They (Air Mauritius) have rescheduled for 00:45 on Monday arriving 15:40. So we've practically lost 2 days rather than one (and should be a fun flight with little children - we avoided this flight first time round on purpose).

Because we hadn't checked in/at the airport we can't claim on our travel insurance nor can they assist.

Two queries:

Am unclear on the request compensation for under EU regs. This is a UK flight via Virgin holidays but using Air Mauritius so am I right in thinking that I can't claim compensation via this route?

Claiming for 2 days loss on hotel room. Virgin say that they can request and organise additional nights stay (they said it was 1 day not 2) But obviously dependant on availability. However, the lady mentioned something about the request will need to be done retrospectively for claiming payment i.e, I think we'd need to pay and then see if Air Mauritius covers the cost. (this was an early morning call so am a bit fuzzy on this). So who should I be going through Virgin, who I'd assume I'd speak to as I booked & paid it via them so it's down to them to sort it or am I supposed to go direct to Air Mauritius?

Any advice appreciated, I can handle the rescheduling but the thought of having to pay for a night (basically 2 days lost) which isn't used is galling

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    SoyaCapo wrote: »
    Our holiday was booked via Virgin Holidays to Mauritius, they use Air Mauritius. We had a call this morning to say that due to technical/operational difficulties that our evening flight had to be cancelled. They (Air Mauritius) have rescheduled for 00:45 on Monday arriving 15:40. So we've practically lost 2 days rather than one (and should be a fun flight with little children - we avoided this flight first time round on purpose).

Because we hadn't checked in/at the airport we can't claim on our travel insurance nor can they assist.

Two queries:

Am unclear on the request compensation for under EU regs. This is a UK flight via Virgin holidays but using Air Mauritius so am I right in thinking that I can't claim compensation via this route?

Claiming for 2 days loss on hotel room. Virgin say that they can request and organise additional nights stay (they said it was 1 day not 2) But obviously dependant on availability. However, the lady mentioned something about the request will need to be done retrospectively for claiming payment i.e, I think we'd need to pay and then see if Air Mauritius covers the cost. (this was an early morning call so am a bit fuzzy on this). So who should I be going through Virgin, who I'd assume I'd speak to as I booked & paid it via them so it's down to them to sort it or am I supposed to go direct to Air Mauritius?

Any advice appreciated, I can handle the rescheduling but the thought of having to pay for a night (basically 2 days lost) which isn't used is galling

Sorry what now? Have you actually contacted your travel insurance and this is what they said?

EU claim is valid as you were leaving from a uk airport
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask Virgin what they can do for you on a good-will basis. It sounds as if they might be able to give you one or two nights added on at the end of the holiday. Also, of course, you should talk to your insurer.

You do have a right to EU compensation since your flight is leaving an EU airport, but the airline will probably claim that the problem resulted from "exceptional circumstances" meaning that no compensation is due. You would have to take them to court in order to force them to pay out (the law is probably on your side).
  • Yep, Nationwide Travel insurance.

Because we haven't actually checked in & left the house. When you look at the small print in the policy document it says after you have checked in. :(

It's with UK Insurance and the lady said that they provide the same cover to most of the banks travel insurance and this issue happens a lot.

helpful ehh
  • Thanks Voyager,

Virgin have just emailed to say that we'll get a lost night and asked us to call to discuss tagging on the extra day at the end - so we'll see. Will see if they can do something about the lost day for goodwill. Wish they just did that in the first place for the stress.

Thanks for the tip on the Airline will do this for sure.

Thanks all - very much appreciate all your time during an obvious stressful time

:beer:
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Joke! on the travel insurance part!!

Did you book by credit card by any chance? might be able to claim consequential losses from them
  • ohh good idea - it's a nationwide cc as well. got to laugh

virgin have started to come through. They've paid back what we've lost on the day i.e. paying back our money and will look at comp for their passengers on this flight - so can't complain if they follow through on this.

Air Mauritius & our insurers on the other hand...
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I remember some insurers used this clause about having to check in during the Ash Cloud event in 2010. Airlines weren't allowing anyone to check in as flights were cancelled and they had no idea when flights would resume (which doesn't seem unreasonable)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business