Standing Charges (SC)

My SC with South East Water (SEW) has recently increased by 20%. SEW will not provide any justification for this massive increase, which hurts low volume users, those least able to pay and those who use water responsibly. Even if you use 1 liter of water per year you have to pay the full SC. This is a rip-off by the SEW and permitted by OFWAT, who could not care less about consumers. I cannot change my water supplier, as I am able to do with gas and electricity providers and I can also purchase these utilities without paying a SC.
You should complain to your water supplier and OFWAT about the high level of SC.


  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,497
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    So you want to pay them tuppence a year but still expect them to turn up with a JCB and 6 men to dig up the road outside your house to get the supply back on for no extra cost - that is what the SC is for.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 17 July 2015 at 12:40PM
    So the standing charge is increased by £5.40 a year to £29.40pa, but the water charges have reduced and the average bill for customers is slightly lower than last year.

    Do you really feel this is a massive charge? It is on a par, or lower than many other water supply companies.

    It is not a rip off by SEW as it doesn't matter to them if the Standing Charge is £1pa or £100pa. Their revenue and hence profit is controlled by Ofwat so if the standing charge is reduced, then other charges are increased to collect the same revenue and profit.

    Families with children might be equally responsible with water as a one person household, and have low incomes, and they will be in favour of the increased SC and lower water charges.

    On the other hand I suspect that those with a holiday cottage in the catchment area will be upset at the 'massive' increase of £5.40 a year in the SC
  • d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    You should complain to your water supplier and OFWAT about the high level of SC.

    Instead of demanding I complain to them, why dont you since you have the problem with it and not me. !!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards