Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

NOW TV - new offer of monthly Sports pass!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
5 replies 2K views
brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
6.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Had an email advertising the wonderful(???) new Sky Sports monthly pass! -£31.99!!
I'm getting standard Sky plus Sky Sports for £23 per month on my current offer ,so can't see many migrating from day pass (say for F1) to a monthly pass.
Who at Sky thinks up these wheezes??:rotfl:

Replies

• pen1pen1 Forumite
    369 Posts
    The trouble with NOW TV sports passes, in my view, is that they're only of value to most customers if the reliability holds up during a handful of major sports events, such as a key Premier League match, where the system is put under pressure.

How would NOW TV compensate somebody who had 98% uptime, but missed a handful of key events, through unreliable streaming, that were the primary purpose of them buying the pass?

It may be that reliability has improved since I last used it, and experiences of different customers were always mixed, but based on the past performance I experienced, I wouldn't spend £31.99 on a month pass and risk that the system "fell over" at key moments.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've certainly noticed problems with Sky Go during major events eg Gran Prix - lot more buffering than I ever get watching rugby/cricket or even football , so I suppose NOW TV is going to suffer as well
  • edited 17 July 2015 at 9:13PM
    VisionManVisionMan Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2015 at 9:13PM
    pen1 wrote: »
    The trouble with NOW TV sports passes, in my view, is that they're only of value to most customers if the reliability holds up during a handful of major sports events, such as a key Premier League match, where the system is put under pressure.

How would NOW TV compensate somebody who had 98% uptime, but missed a handful of key events, through unreliable streaming, that were the primary purpose of them buying the pass?

It may be that reliability has improved since I last used it, and experiences of different customers were always mixed, but based on the past performance I experienced, I wouldn't spend £31.99 on a month pass and risk that the system "fell over" at key moments.

Yes that is rather a problem which is guaranteed to happen at times of high demand. And as dave points out, happens on Sky Go as well. Its because Sky don't use a Content Delivery Network to distribute their live streams over the internet. Pretty poor actually in this day and age.
  • datlexdatlex Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Had an email advertising the wonderful(???) new Sky Sports monthly pass! -£31.99!!
    I'm getting standard Sky plus Sky Sports for £23 per month on my current offer ,so can't see many migrating from day pass (say for F1) to a monthly pass.
    Who at Sky thinks up these wheezes??:rotfl:
    At £23, you are getting a very good deal. Obviously we should all look at costs from our own perspective and circumstances. I had a look at the packages on sky for standard deals. A new customer on sky costs £45 for the sky sports bundle. http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sports/ So Now TV offer is actually more appealing at £31.99. Also it has the advantage of no long term commitment. The benefit of Now is you can watch it on other devices such as a tablet when away.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 37, Attempting Frugal Living. Became debt free at the end ot 2016. Used savings from becoming debt free to put a deposit on a bungalow last year now working on becoming Mortgage free by overpaying. (without overpayment MFW date is 2036)
  • pen1pen1 Forumite
    369 Posts
    An important word of caution, however- the Sky Sports month pass auto-renews (as do Entertainment & Sky Movies passes); so you must cancel it online during the course of your month's viewing, to prevent being automatically charged to your credit/debit card for another month's viewing.
This discussion has been closed.