Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Easiest way to compare BB TV and Phones. Cheapest packages

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
4 replies 1.1K views
jas123jas123 Forumite
10 Posts
Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Hi
I'm out of contract with BT and I'm paying £24 pm plus £183 line rental for 1.5MB broadband, basic TV package and about 3 landline calls per month.

I've been trying to compare different services but I find it very confusing. Could anybody give me any advice or tips for how to go about this or which provider is likely to be best?

We have always had terrible BB speeds (whichever provider) but we can get cable if necessary.

Thank you.
JAS:)

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you trying to compare prices ???
    What have BT offered you to stay ?? sale on at present .

BT Plusnet Sky SSE or VM cable are the ones i would look at .

VM cable will be a lot faster the others all use the same BT cable so similar speeds .
  • jas123jas123 Forumite
    10 Posts
    BT have offered nothing to stay.
    Different comparison sites all show different stories for the same suppliers.
    What I'm basically after is a basic TV package so we can record, pause live TV etc.
    Basic phone (calls not necessarily included but would be a bonus for free eve & WE),
    and a reasonable download speed.
    We are getting below 2MB from BT at the moment so we rarely use it as it's too slow.
    Should we be going for VM cable then? Also, is their regular cable faster than a BT line or do I need fibre optic?
    Thanks for your help.
  • edited 15 July 2015 at 11:12AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July 2015 at 11:12AM
    You don't need a susbcription TV deal just to record and pause live TV-just get a Freeview or Freesat PVR-or a Youview one if you want on-demand facilities. A one-off cost, no monthly sub. You only need subscription TV if you want to watch subscription channels-which you haven't specified.
    VM cable is fibre-optic-that's the only service they offer; it's roughly equivalent to BT-based FTTC services.
    If 2MBps is the max your line can support on ADSL (have you checked)?) then you'll need FTTC or VM cable to get faster speeds.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • jas123jas123 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Thanks Macman. That didn't occur to me. We never watch anything other than freeview anyway and on-demand is too slow due to poor BB speeds.
    We have a Youview box so I guess I'll be looking towards VM.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.