We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I being extravagant

Options
I would just like opinions on this. I have sensitive eczema prone skin, fine coloured hair, dry skin. I have taken to using the following more expensive products, other things I buy more cheaper.

For my hair I use Wella Professionals from my hairdresser

For my skin Lush dream wash and cream

Clinique tinted moisturiser, eyeliner and lipstick for make up

Liz Earle cleanse and polish for cleanser

It all lasts but adds up, especially when some of it runs out at the same time.

Having said this I managed well enough before with my No7 tinted moisturiser, E45 wash and creams and Simple hair care.

Would you pay the extra or go back to basics? By the way I'm 53, live alone on one basic full time wage.

Comments

• enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    unadulterated goats milk soap is great for skin, also look at trying goats milk instead of cows milk.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You pay what you can afford and what you enjoy using. At the end of the day its your money, you can choice to use it how you want. If you bills are paid they nothing wrong with enjoying your beauty products.
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good question Fusspot. Personally, as long as I'm not getting in to debt and living within my means I have the things I want. Somethings I have to economise on, if I can't afford the branded. Somethings I choose to economise on, if there is no difference in quality.
    The Liz earl c&p is a good example. Although I love the smell, I use the super drug one because it suits my skin and is much cheaper and there are often deals to be had too.
  • starrystarry
    starrystarry Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    flissh wrote: »
    Good question Fusspot. Personally, as long as I'm not getting in to debt and living within my means I have the things I want. Somethings I have to economise on, if I can't afford the branded. Somethings I choose to economise on, if there is no difference in quality.
    The Liz earl c&p is a good example. Although I love the smell, I use the super drug one because it suits my skin and is much cheaper and there are often deals to be had too.

Agree with this, C&P is a nice product but the Superdrug variants (Vitamin E range and Naturally Radiant range) are just as good. C&P smells nicer but I'm not prepared to pay more than double the price just to get a nice smell. I stock up when they're on offer. The Naturally Radiant one is £5.99 and BOGOF at the moment. Free delivery for Beautycard customers as well (no minimum spend).
  • Piggywiggy
    Piggywiggy Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    If you buy cheap and use for a little while but don't like it you've just wasted money, some things are just worth paying a little more for to suit your needs. If its not putting you in debt then it's perfectly justified.
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Is the Superdrug cleanser ok for sensitive skin and can you use it on your eyes like Liz Earle?

Also does anyone use Lush products and find them value for money?
  • starrystarry
    starrystarry Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. Is the Superdrug cleanser ok for sensitive skin and can you use it on your eyes like Liz Earle?

Also does anyone use Lush products and find them value for money?

The Vitamin E one is probably a better choice if you have sensitive skin. My skin is fine with either of them but the Naturally Radiant one is more perfumed I think. I use them to take my eye make up off, they're both fine on my eyes.
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    If you like the products you use and can afford them stick with them.

If you're hard up by all means try the cheaper alternatives, but you don't get brownie points from anyone for saving a pound or two .

There might be times when you don't get a choice ,you just can't afford something.

I'd worry about it then and enjoy the products you're happy with and can afford at the moment.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree with this, C&P is a nice product but the Superdrug variants (Vitamin E range and Naturally Radiant range) are just as good. C&P smells nicer but I'm not prepared to pay more than double the price just to get a nice smell. I stock up when they're on offer. The Naturally Radiant one is £5.99 and BOGOF at the moment. Free delivery for Beautycard customers as well (no minimum spend).

Totally disagree

They may be as good as - for some people

Sorry, myself I have tried the cheaper ranges, and I get terrible problems with my skin, and believe me I would love to find a cheaper range

And I no longer like the smell of CP, its just the only cleanser and moisturiser I can tolerate

OP, can you afford the products you choose?

Do they improve your life in some way? You know, no skin eruptions etc? Answer yes to both and you have your answer

However, do as I do - get the CP either for Christmas or birthdays and sign up for the emails, get some very good deals that way

With the professional shampoo, have you tried TK Maxx?>
    They always have some professional shampoo or other
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,698 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »
    For my hair I use Wella Professionals from my hairdresser

I use the same products but I buy in 1 litre bottles from ebay for £20 which is much better value than the £14 for 250ml that my hairdresser would charge
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport