We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Summer Budget 2015: Millions to face benefit cuts

Options

Comments

• delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    bloolagoon wrote: »
    Not true, they really are being hit. The cap and the tax credits taper will hit them massively along with no HB rises for the duration.

It will affect me hugely. I even have to think twice before buying things like shampoo and toothpaste... No one's getting a birthday this year and I've no idea where the shool uniforms or shes will be coming from!

My rent for my (overcrowded, tiny) house is £11k a year. Going to be fun trying to run a house and feed and clothe 6 on 9k per year. Without going into the Autistic older children who are impossible to find childcare for and can't be left alone... I'd love to work, it'd be like a rest from this hellish house.

Oh and BTW until last year I was part of a working family, circumstances made me a lone parent, now being punished for having a family whilst watching career claimant friends who have found loopholes or got social housing get off scot free. But no one gives a !!!!!!.
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Most changes eg the 2 child limit re Tax Credits/UC are for new claimants after April 2017.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 8 July 2015 at 8:33PM
    Options
    pd52 wrote: »
    I work 30 hours a week and earn £14500. single no kids. I get pip and tax credits with the disability element I get about £160 4 weekly. How much will I loose ? So confused :(
    It looks like your tax credits will go down to about £628 a year. £1903 if you get the severe disability element.

Not sure about PIP, but don't think it'll be affected.
  • zagfles
    Options
    Mersey wrote: »
    Most changes eg the 2 child limit re Tax Credits/UC are for new claimants after April 2017.
    The taper and threshold changes are for everyone and take effect in April 2016.
  • chris2223333
    chris2223333 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Zagfles

Please could you explain to me if people will benefit from interactions between HB Council tax support and Tax credits.

I was under the impression that if tax credits decrease they could cause a corresponding increase in HB and CTS? I am currently set to lose £30pw wtc I also recieve HB at £55pw would this not increase due to decrease in tax credit income?
  • pd52
    pd52 Posts: 514 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2015 at 8:47PM
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    It looks like your tax credits will go down to about £628 a year. £1903 if you get the severe disability element.

Not sure about PIP, but don't think it'll be affected.

my award says:

Basic: £1941
    30 hour element £803
    1 disability element £2938

Total wtc £5683
    Reduction due to your income £3312
    Amount for the period £2370

I just get standard pip care rate so I don't think I get the severe element ?

I don't understand the new way and how it works :( is there a calculator anywhere?
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    delain wrote: »
    It will affect me hugely. I even have to think twice before buying things like shampoo and toothpaste... No one's getting a birthday this year and I've no idea where the shool uniforms or shes will be coming from!

My rent for my (overcrowded, tiny) house is £11k a year. Going to be fun trying to run a house and feed and clothe 6 on 9k per year. Without going into the Autistic older children who are impossible to find childcare for and can't be left alone... I'd love to work, it'd be like a rest from this hellish house.

Oh and BTW until last year I was part of a working family, circumstances made me a lone parent, now being punished for having a family whilst watching career claimant friends who have found loopholes or got social housing get off scot free. But no one gives a !!!!!!.

You should not be part of the Cap if your children are disabled.
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2015 at 8:52PM
    Options
    pd52 wrote: »
    my award says:

Basic: £1941
    30 hour element £803
    1 disability element £2938

Total wtc £5683
    Reduction due to your income £3312
    Amount for the period £2370

I don't understand the new way and how it works :(

Zagfles said you would lose about £620 i think, but I make it much more - i think you will lose in the region of £1730.

IQ
  • pd52
    pd52 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    Zagfles said you would lose about £620 i think, but I make it much more - i think you will lose in the region of £1730.

IQ

I thought he meant it would go down to £628 a year?

How is it worked out?
  • zagfles
    Options
    Zagfles

Please could you explain to me if people will benefit from interactions between HB Council tax support and Tax credits.

I was under the impression that if tax credits decrease they could cause a corresponding increase in HB and CTS? I am currently set to lose £30pw wtc I also recieve HB at £55pw would this not increase due to decrease in tax credit income?
    Yes tax credits is income for HB so if tax credits decrease HB should increase. Not by the same amount obviously, HB will increase by 65% of the drop in tax credits.

There are some bits in the budget about HB thresholds (applicable amounts) being reduced but it looks like they apply to the child cap and family element removal in 2017.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure