We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Summer Budget 2015: Millions to face benefit cuts

Options

Comments

• henlans
    henlans Posts: 3,013 Forumite
    Options
    Miroslav wrote: »
    I love it when people make new names to make comments rather than use their normal name.

Yeah :) me toooo lol
  • henlans
    henlans Posts: 3,013 Forumite
    Options
    curty510 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the people that work for sky tv, special brew and cigarette companies. ....They will be worst hit

the thing is.. people that don't work now.. wont be really effected.. the people that work will be.
  • keaton
    keaton Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    And more for parents of young children who are out of work.

http://im.ft-static.com/content/images/3bcf3696-2571-11e5-bd83-71cb60e8f08c.pdf
    Treasury report on budget.

Page 46 '1.166'.
    'Parents of a 3 year old child (including lone parents) will be expected to look for work'.

The link you supplied does mention that it applies to those parents who are claiming universal credit, as far as I'm aware this was the case anyway and is part of the contract you sign to claim it. Though I think the age has dropped from 5 to 3 years.

I think the point of universal credit is that once your youngest child reaches 5 (now 3) the government want both parents out working.
    Chances are I'm in this thread asking questions as I love to learn new stuff. (Did you know all polar bears are left handed?)
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    henlans wrote: »
    the thing is.. people that don't work now.. wont be really effected.. the people that work will be.

Not true, they really are being hit. The cap and the tax credits taper will hit them massively along with no HB rises for the duration.
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2015 at 7:53PM
    Options
    henlans wrote: »
    It looks like this..

2 kids for the unemployed and massive hit to the working people.

Massive hit on the low earners.. but we do have a £7.20 living wage that is rubbish.. it should have been £9 now. make these company's pay a proper wage, if you had this you would not need tax credits for working people.

Personally, Ill take the 2k loss, but tax the OAP's too.. we are not all in this together.

Well I have read ignorant and uninformed posts on here and on other sites but yours takes the cake.

Pensioners DO pay tax if their pensions plus other income like wages or a private pension takes them over their personal allowance.

Which is why my 84 year old dad who worked for 70 years paid TAX for 70 years even though he got his pension nearly 20 years ago, his wages and his pension combined took him over his personal allowance.

Which is why my Husband who gets a state pension plus a private pension pays oh what's the word I am looking for????? oh yeah TAX
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    bloolagoon wrote: »
    Not true, they really are being hit. The cap and the tax credits taper will hit them massively along with no HB rises for the duration.

How will the tax credits taper affect them?

IQ
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    How will the tax credits taper affect them?

IQ

Are they not including Tax Credits as Income? I thought I'd read that it was anything over that value including other benefits?
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    The tax credits taper will have no effect at all on those who don't work. Unless they have unearned taxable income. The cap might effect them, but plenty of people out of work get less than £20k in benefits anyway.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Are they not including Tax Credits as Income? I thought I'd read that it was anything over that value including other benefits?
    What, tax credits income affects the tax credit taper?? Seriously?

No, tax credits basically uses income which is taxable, with a few exceptions. So HB doesn't count, income based JSA doesn't count (even the taxable part), and tax credits themselevs don't count. Cont based JSA does count but if that's the only income which counts it'll be within the new lower threshold - just. It seems to be have been set at that rate!
  • pd52
    pd52 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    I work 30 hours a week and earn £14500. single no kids. I get pip and tax credits with the disability element I get about £160 4 weekly. How much will I loose ? So confused :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure