We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Been a chilly week here for us and our girls.

Have the quiet elderly ex batt indoors with us overnight at the moment. She is spending some of the day with the others outside but we have noticed that she is not bothering to eat much :(. Have put her on the lawn for a while and she is not bothering with eat grass either. Managed to get her to eat tonight which is good.

All the rest are behaving like hooligans running around the garden like loonies so they are all ok, old but still ok and enjoying their retirement with us.

Just bought them some porridge which they love in the colder weather. Keeps them active too foraging for all the little bits:).

What's happening with everyone else and their feathered friends?. All ok I hope. How about those with new hens? Still having problems with settling them in? I do hope not. Please let me know how it is all going with them.

Been letting our girls down to nearer the house this week where it is a little warmer for them plus they can munch on the grass whilst down here. I think our ducks are a little envious that we have allowed the hens down here but the ducks keep making holes all over the lawn from sticking their beaks in looking for blooming worms. We will let them down in December sometime but in the meantime shall leave the grass for the hens to eat.

All for now.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    Options
    Lost our little elderly ex batt this afternoon:(. She was snoozing on a comfy blanket by the stove when she went bless her.
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    Sorry Edwink. Bless her little heart.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to read of your lovely ex-batt Edwink :(

All of mine are at various stages of moulting. The state of them :eek: they could make a decent sized nest each with all the feathers they've lost!

We've had them for two and a half years and this is their first major moult so I don't think they're doing too badly :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    Mine are moulting massively this year as well. They’re all totally bedraggled and look like they’ve been dragged through a hedge. I wonder if it’s just this year. I don’t remember a moult this bad or this long before. I’m worried it’s getting colder overnight and they’ll start to feel it. Poor chooks.��
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • edwink
    Options
    Mine have been moulting heavily too this year. My Bluebell hen looks as bad as some of my ex batts did when we brought them home here. There is nothing wrong with my Bluebell hen as far as I can see but she doesn't have any feathers on her bib/chest and is missing loads from her back and from her head.

I've been worrying about mine too a bit now the colder weather is coming. :(

Its not just ours then so that's a little reassuring. They do feather up quite quickly though after the moult so another couple of weeks I'm sure will make all the difference.

Edwink
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So sorry about your ex batt Edwink :(

I decided to take the plunge with the new additions, however I failed to notice they have scaly leg mite until after I had introduced them to our girls. How I do not know, so annoyed at myself as I'm so cautious of mites! Thankfully I had some net-tex spray in the first aid kit and plenty of DE, I've also got some ointment on the way. Hopefully that will do the trick and our older girls won't be effected, otherwise I may have to get the spot on which I'm not keen to do unless necessary.

No wonder the poor new girls weren't laying, I thought it was odd as they've finished moulting and are being treated like royalty and seem to have integrated okay considering.

Any tips appreciated!
  • edwink
    edited 6 November 2017 at 8:48PM
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    So sorry about your ex batt Edwink :(

I decided to take the plunge with the new additions, however I failed to notice they have scaly leg mite until after I had introduced them to our girls. How I do not know, so annoyed at myself as I'm so cautious of mites! Thankfully I had some net-tex spray in the first aid kit and plenty of DE, I've also got some ointment on the way. Hopefully that will do the trick and our older girls won't be effected, otherwise I may have to get the spot on which I'm not keen to do unless necessary.
    No wonder the poor new girls weren't laying, I thought it was odd as they've finished moulting and are being treated like royalty and seem to have integrated okay considering. Any tips appreciated!

Hi

From what you have said in your post I really think you have done all you can at the moment. Has the new ointment arrived yet? Would be interesting to see how that works as well as the other 2 things you are trying. What is the ointment called?

How are their legs looking now? Any improvement yet? So annoying isn't it when those of us that care for their girls so well end bring something in with new hens.

We had a red mite problem that caused us a real big headache here and I swear that it was brought in with some new girl that we purchased. I did check the hens carefully but if it did arrive with them I didn't check them carefully enough and I could certainly kick myself for it. I have to say that we have never brought in any parasites with any of the ex batts we have rehomed with us.

Please let us know how you are getting on if you get the time because it will help others on here should they ever get the same problem with their hens.

Take care

Edwink
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Edwink.

It's doesn't look any worse but not much improvement. I've dipped their feet in veg oil tonight until the ointment arrives as apparently it helps to suffocate the mites.

The ointment is by barrier: https://www.viovet.co.uk/Bird_Barrier_Scaly_Leg_Ointment/c13900/?quick_find=138080&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_SvM8229cjkKYPQXv9eOy_EiOChLYLD064l7JcKjvIYrMT5Ixq_ypMaArEREALw_wcB

My only mite experience so far is red mite when I was quite inexperienced. It ended in such a crazy amount of pressure washing I caved before the wooden hen house did and bought a Green Frog coop. Never had any problems since but have also been very, very vigilant with smite/DE etc.
  • edwink
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    Thanks Edwink.

It's doesn't look any worse but not much improvement. I've dipped their feet in veg oil tonight until the ointment arrives as apparently it helps to suffocate the mites.

The ointment is by barrier: https://www.viovet.co.uk/Bird_Barrier_Scaly_Leg_Ointment/c13900/?quick_find=138080&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_SvM8229cjkKYPQXv9eOy_EiOChLYLD064l7JcKjvIYrMT5Ixq_ypMaArEREALw_wcB

Thanks for posting the link as I am sure it will help others should they ever get the same problem.

Just a thought if veg oil helps to suffocate the mites how about trying Vaseline. Years ago when we had a dog she had a Tic on her ear flap. We smothered that in Vaseline and that certainly suffocated the Tic because it soon fell off.

Please let us know how you get on.

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback