We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,969 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 September 2017 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Hello everyone, May I please join the thread? I've been lurking for a long time but thought it time to join in.

I was reading about all the sad losses recently. We just lost two hens in very short succession. They were both just over a year old, both commercial hens. I know they aren't raised for longevity, but we didn't expect this. So sad.

We have one remaining hen who just stands around looking lonely, it's like she's forgotten how to be a chicken (she was bottom of the rankings).... Picking up two friends for her tomorrow, slightly worried about the introductions, but hopefully this is for the best long term.

Hi orangecrush :hello:

Welcome to our hen friendly thread. Would love to have you on board with us. Just post whenever you want to we are a friendly bunch on here. :D

So sad about your two hens that recently went to hen heaven. With commercial hens they only tend to live from 18 months to 2 years after rescue. But imagine my horror when we lost one after her being with us for 6 months. I thought OMG what have I been doing wrong and was so upset. But after many years I suppose I have got a lot more used to them going now although I still am sad each and every time. My eldest rescue girl lived to 4 and a half years old which is really good for an ex batt. My little "Scarf" as I called her, I still miss that little hen as she was like a little dog and followed me around the garden every time I was out there, bless her. I called her Scarf because when we collected her she was so bald all around her neck and all the way down her chest so she looked as though she needed a scarf. So the ex batts can go at any age really and not even make the first year in their new retirement home. :(:( Just look back at the lovely life you gave them both because that's what I and others on here do as it does help.

Glad you are picking up 2 more friends for your remaining hen today because as a rule hens hate being on their own and can become really depressed. We took in one hen when 16 of her friends were killed by a fox. She was the only one that survived because she was a really clever hen and managed to get to the top of a fence where the fox couldn't reach her. When I introduced her we already had 17 here. I was so nervous because we were only introducing one to the flock but they were fine and thankfully just accepted her. Don't worry too much they will be fine. There maybe a few feathers flying about but just keep popping outside to keep an eye on them. You may find that your remaining hen will become top hen of the three. Always a bit of a nervous time introducing new ones for any hen owner but more often than not it goes fairly smoothly. Please let us know how it all goes.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    edited 23 September 2017 at 9:53PM
    Options
    jim-jim wrote: »
    Morning I've now got 6 left, 2 from my very first lot, 2 from last year and 2 from this year.
    Not sure when I'm going to get some more, as the hen rescue has just had an adoption day. I would like to do that instead of buying them as point /lay.

Mr jim did get the new coop finished, but not sure where to put it. As the red mite hotel is still in place until we can burn it. So we took the side of the big shed what the chucks were using as a temporary home, put it in there, side back on. Now they have a shed in a shed:rotfl: X

Hi jim-jim

I really feel I should be addressing this to Mrs jim;). We are not sure when we will be getting anymore either. All of ours presently are ex batts except for our Bluebell hen who is 6 now. I know they arrive in such a sorry state but I do like seeing them thrive, see their feathers grow back and watch them as they enjoy their retirement. When we collected our very first 12 ex batts one of them laid us a present on the way home and I was nearly in tears after I saw it.

Wow a shed within a shed that should keep them nice & cosy over the winter months.:) If you can, burn the red mite hotel as soon as possible because you don't want them getting on to the hens and then in to their new hotel if some of them are still alive. Horrible little things they are and a blooming nuisance too.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    We lost another 2 black ones this week so it's been a sad week for hens. Poor wee things, have had a short but good life with us xx
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    We lost another 2 black ones this week so it's been a sad week for hens. Poor wee things, have had a short but good life with us xx

Aww ali-t how sad and loosing 2 in a week. You seem to be really going through an emotional time with yours lately :(

As you say "a short but good life" bless them and a (((HUG))) for you.

Edwink xx
  • edwink
    edited 28 September 2017 at 2:45PM
    Options
    Nice bit of sun here today in between the showers. My little girls are wet one minute and then drying out and sunbathing the next. Must not grumble it is nice to see the sun shining:p

How is everyone else getting on? and how is it all going for our new hen keepers on here? All going ok I hope. Any questions you may have no matter how small the question might be it is always worth asking on here. There will always be someone who can help if you are stuck with anything:)

Been picking some of the last of the lettuces for the girls today plus picking them some cabbage leaves and kale. We must save a fortune growing veg for them and us. At least we know it is fresh too:cool:

Haven't had any duck eggs here for a couple of week so imagine our surprise this morning when hubby let the ducks out and there in the shavings was a lovely blue egg for us. So thank you Mrs Indian Runner duck for the egg but could we have another one very soon please because hubby likes 2 eggs with his chips ;)

Anyone else like egg and chips for supper? It's my favourite especially with bread and butter so I can make a chip butty:D

Edwink
  • orangecrush
    Options
    Hi again all,

Ali sorry to hear of your losses :( Were they unexpected? It's so sad when they go. I didn't think I'd get so attached to them.

Jim-Jim the shed in a shed sounds super cosy for your ladies!!

Edwink thank you for the warm welcome and the kindness! Scarf sounds like she made a real impression on your. Our Carmen (the one we had PTS) was our favourite, she was just so nosey, and a total drama queen, hence the name! She always wanted to know what we had, even if it was a cup of tea, we had to show her what it was so she could check it wasn't a cup of mealworms! I will miss her very much.

Our two newcomers are settling in ok! Chunky monkey (our remaining original hen) has turned into a total thug and terrorised them for the first few days, though she she now moulting which seems to have distracted her.

On the moulting - OH MY GOSH SO MANY FEATHERS. We woke up one morning last week and thought a fox had got into the run, they were everywhere. Now poor chunky just has to shake herself and the feathers come flying off. This is our first full year with hens - I knew they moulted but I had no idea it was so dramatic.

Torrential rain here Edwink so very soggy hens outside! It is good forthe veg patch though, what's left of it after a massive snail invasion. One of the new hens LOVES snails which is good! She runs off with them then eats them secretively in the corner.

I also love eggs and chips, though I think I marginally prefer eggs and toast soldiers!

Hope you all have a lovely Friday!
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    I know what you mean about the moulting! My little one just has to shake herself and disappears in a cloud of feathers!

Poor little girl, I was really worried about her last week. She's been the broody for about two months now. Really determined, eats a little but just tiny amounts and then hurried back into her nest. She finally snaps out of it, but still clucks occasionally. However last weekend she stopped eating, she was very quiet and sleeping all day outside with the others while they were out foraging. I thought she was going to die on Sunday and was very upset. On Tuesday she was still alive and seemed to perk up a bit. Eating and drinking maybe less, but almost herself. However she's got better every day since then, still a little quiet, but comes out and spends sometime foraging and preening, still a little sleepy but wakes easily.

I've been putting ACV in their water and they have lots of natural yougurt and the last of our fruit. I've been tempting her with prawns, sunflower seeds, cat food, mince and cheese, basically anything! She's better and I think this long broodiness combined with her moulting and her age just wiped her for six.

I know we shouldn't have favourites but she's mine, such a lovely, gentle intelligent little hen she's an absolute pleasure to look after.

I hope everyone else is faring the change in seasons we'll. Take care.xxxx
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Great to hear everyone's updates and hear about your hen antics. We lost another one this week and have no idea why. It is very frustrating as we aren't doing anything differently and they are well looked after but we have lost 5 in the last 2 months. Poor wee hens but they have lived the life of Riley here.

my favourite egg meal is omelette with ham, onion and sweetcorn filling. I could eat that every day! The other thing I love with home layer eggs is egg bread with crispy bacon and maple syrup. It is delish!
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    We lost another one this week and have no idea why. It is very frustrating as we aren't doing anything differently and they are well looked after but we have lost 5 in the last 2 months. Poor wee hens but they have lived the life of Riley here.

Aww Ali-t I really don't know what to say to be honest except poor you and poor little hen too. Five losses in 2 months must be so hard too deal with.:(:(

You take care xx

Edwink
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    So sorry Ali. Poor wee mites.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business