We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Not been on here for a long time. Sorry to hear about your losses.
    I now have only 7 girlies, a fox came and took one while they were out freeranging and I was in their pen on the other side of the fence! I get 2 to 5 eggs a day but there seem to be an increasing number of feathers around so the big moult seems to have started.

If anyone is interested this is a link to a lovely lady, Anna Breytenbach, who is able to communicate with animals. It's quite moving seeing her interact with them. I'm not having much luck with my girls so far but I keep trying.
    https://forbiddenknowledgetv.net/animal-communicator-anna-breytenbach/#comment-14778
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    4 hens, who are all about 2-2 1/2 years old now, and for the past week 1 egg a day, had 2 days of nothing at all!

No moulting that I can see, no feathers dotted around. In fact they all look quite fluffy at the moment. I did wonder if they were getting too fat, but haven't changed their feedings, or levels of treats. Maybe I've slighted them in some small way and this is my payback?
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,969 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 August 2017 at 7:58PM
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    4 hens, who are all about 2-2 1/2 years old now, and for the past week 1 egg a day, had 2 days of nothing at all!

NOTHING AT ALL :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: OMG!!!!!

I actually think what you said about them in post #1179 is correct.
    They have definitely gone on strike turkey-snoring-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • stepuptothepl8
    Options
    Ours have dropped off a lot too.. I think we're battling a mite infestation :(
    We've sprayed, and powdered, so just waiting to see if that has any impact. Bless them, still as curious and friendly as ever, and they burst their way out of the run for their favourite dust bathing spots :) it's so lovely to see.
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • edwink
    Options
    Ours have dropped off a lot too.. I think we're battling a mite infestation :(
    We've sprayed, and powdered, so just waiting to see if that has any impact.

Don't forget to check under their perches once your girls have been in for the night for a while. You can do this by wiping a piece of dry kitchen towel along the underside of some of their perches and checking the paper towel to see if it is red. The mites feed off the girls blood during the night and then crawl back in to their hiding places especially under the perches until it is time to feed off of the girls again. Horrible little things they are!

I hope what you have done so far is working because they are blooming hard to get rid of as many of us on here know too well.

Let us know how you get on if you have time please.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DS has been desperate to make a cake, which requires 3 eggs. Poor kid has been waiting for days!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion about Victoria plums, Edwink.
    It's on my list to order today so it will be ready to go in, in autumn.
    My three are back to being broody again, can't seem to snap out of it. The two are definitely broody, but the third one I think is just pretending to keep the other two company!
    At least it means the garden is getting a break from their relentless dust baths. They're extending their bathing areas into giant pools now, I cringe when they dig up the lawn, but i could watch them for hours! They are blissful in the sunshine :)
    xxx
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • vjm63
    vjm63 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Mine are picking up a bit now, but were pretty lazy regarding laying throughout the summer - from 5 who should be laying, often only 1 or 2 eggs, and the most consistent layer was one girl who has been in perpetual moult since March! She is in charge, but her bald posterior is a site to behold!

Anyway, we have now had 2 eggs (28g and 37g) in last fortnight from the 4 Rhodebars (21 weeks old) so I hope they will get into the rhythm of it soon. Which leads me to ask - are other people's hens vocal when laying, or not?!

I ask because was sitting there this morning, knowing one of the Rhodebar girls was laying, and she was kicking six bells out of the bedding and nestbox, scratching loads, and doing a strange growling purr at times, Then just strolled out for water afterwards. Others just sit there totally zenned and quiet for ages after laying, or even when they have not laid an egg. I have also had a couple that get totally hysterical sometimes, rushing in and out of the coop and going around in circles in the run, back in to check nestbox is still there, back out again, and finally one girl could seemingly actually lay in less than three minutes at times!

Is it just me?
  • edwink
    Options
    Lost another rescue girl today :( Went up to tuck them in to bed tonight and found her in the doorway of their hotel :( Sad loosing two within 2 weeks :(

Off to change my signature again :(

Hope everyone and their hens are doing ok.

Edwink
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    So sorry Edwink.xxx
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business