PPI with Blackhorse / Lloyds Bowmaker

Options
I took out a loan with RIGP Finance around 1999 (can't find the paperwork to be sure) but I do have the reference number as luckily I still have bank statements going back that far and it shows up as a DD.

I completed the PPI questionnaire early May and sent it to Black Horse who now deal with these types of complaints. I received a letter back saying they couldn't do anything without a valid agreement number so I rang customer services and duly sent the number off again by email this time as requested (along with a copy of my bank statement clearly showing the payment).

Having heard nothing back for 7 weeks I rang again today and was told that they have no record of my complaint. So I gave them my agreement number again and the guy I spoke to said it corresponds to those loans originally owned by Lloyds Bowmaker and although they were passed to Black Horse, no paperwork accompanied the takeover. Lloyds Bowmaker also destroyed all their paperwork of those loans so unless I have the original paperwork, he said there's nothing they can do.

Is this right? I understand that Lloyds are notorious for pushing people from pillar to post with regard to PPI claims but I seem to get a different story each time I ring. Is the FOS the next step or is there nothing they can do given the latest information passed to me by Lloyds?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this right?

it doenst sound unreasonable. When mergers take place, not all information goes across. You tend to find they supply open borrowing details but repaid and closed off borrowing details would quite possibly have never moved over to them.
    Is the FOS the next step or is there nothing they can do given the latest information passed to me by Lloyds?

You could try the FOS but if Lloyds tell them they have no data then its game over. They could find some data later but its a long shot. You probably want to do a DSAR at this stage. that would tell you if they are telling the truth or not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in a similar position with an old RIGP loan but without the account number, although I do have microfiche bank statements showing the DD's. I sent a SAR to Blackhorse who said they cannot locate any details without the agreement number.
    I contacted FOS who said Blackhorse/Lloyds (same banking group) are not liable as the sale fell before January 2005, so I've reached a dead end with this one.
    However, in your case you have the account number so I'd send a SAR to Blackhorse/Lloyds and see what it produces. Its probably correct that the RIGP paperwork has been destroyed. Although someone I spoke to in Blackhorse said they have an archive department where records of old closed accounts are held. It might be worth the £10. Best of luck
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Although someone I spoke to in Blackhorse said they have an archive department where records of old closed accounts are held. It might be worth the £10. Best of luck

I suspect they are sitting in cardboard boxes on a storage site in no particular filing order.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nattybangers
    Options
    thank you all. I think they probably do have an archive system for Lloyds / Black Horse but the specific Lloyds Bowmaker files don't come under this archiving as according to the customer services guy, it has all been destroyed. Think it is definitely a dead end. I know it's only another £10 to double check with SAR but that's actually money I could do without spending given that chances to recuperate any losses are (by the sound of things) minimal.

Thank you all again though for taking the time to respond. :)
  • Savannah02K
    Savannah02K Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in same position, I tried to get Ombudsman on case but not interested because of date, Lloyds fobbed me off, told same as you, no records available. In the end have gone to PPI claims company as I figure some per cent of something will be better than no per cent of nothing. Even they're struggling though, I have Lloyds Bowmaker letterhead with my account details on but no one will 'own' the company re PPI. I'll leave them to do the chasing, not costing me anything and if they get lucky, I'll be happy but I'm not holding my breath.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    In the end have gone to PPI claims company as I figure some per cent of something will be better than no per cent of nothing.

I think you have a misconception of what a claims company do. They use the exact same process you used. Indeed, it could end up in front of the same staff member at Lloyds. When Lloyds get the complaint from the CMC, they will see you have already submitted a complaint and outcome given and will tell the CMC that you have already complained previously.

You should check your CMC contract as some have clauses in there allowing them to reclaim costs from time wasters, such as those who have already complained.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure