22 months to work, dig, tidy and declutter my way to debt freedom

Comments

• DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Hi p&f

loving your new diary :D

Can i ask what categories you have for your budget categories please?

I have tasked myself to redo mine but is a slow process when i have the time to do it.

And beautifully painted gromits? do tell :D

oh and i have some herbs and would like to take some cuttings for a friend do i literally just snip a bit off :o
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • Hi p&f

loving your new diary :D

Woo-hoo, nice to see your here, DDFW :D
    Can i ask what categories you have for your budget categories please?

I have tasked myself to redo mine but is a slow process when i have the time to do it.

I will answer that tomorrow as I have slept very badly the last few nights and am knackeroooneyed.
    And beautifully painted gromits? do tell :D

Sorry, should have Shaun-the-sheeps, the last campaign were Gromits (my brain is a bit fried lately). They are all around Brizzle:
    http://shauninthecity.org.uk/shauns?location=bristol

I saw Bee-Dazzled and Fab-Ewe-Lous :D.
    oh and i have some herbs and would like to take some cuttings for a friend do i literally just snip a bit off :o

Do you mean for them to use for cooking or for them to grow? Also, what type of herbs?
  • Igamogam wrote: »
    Just read your diary. Gardner ,de clutterer and debt buster here too:D I can relate to other bits you write about also..........

Looking forward to reading more:)

Thanks for dropping by, Imagogam. I do find that waffling on this diary helps me a lot, it's good of you to read it :).
  • Digging wrote: »
    I do this but feel guilty. I put away £50 a month for car insurance, mot, tax etc. Over the year it covers it all. I do think I should be chucking that £50 at a credit card but then when my insurance is due I would just be adding debt on again. This way I have the money available when needed and my debt total doesn't increase again. But as I said... I do feel guilty about saving when I have debt.

I do exactly the same as you now. You are putting money aside to meet future commitments, it's not as if you are stashing it away for no reason.

To me, it's a way of getting control back, of planning and budgeting properly. I also like to know that when I've made a payment towards a credit card, that's debt that I won't have again. I would feel demoralised if a a few months later I ended up having to slap a car repair bill on the card again. It's much more empowering to have that money already put to one side.

One of the reasons I don't use a credit card anymore is it forces me to plan properly or cut my budget elsewhere if things don't quite work according to plan. My inability to handle credit has got me into so much trouble of the years. So I've decided to stop using it. I seem to be an all-or-nothing person :).

So don't feel guilty, you are doing the right thing.
  • Not much to report except that sleeps seems to have eluded me these past few nights so I am now off to bed at what is (for me) practically the middle of the afternoon :rotfl:.

Didn't spend any money today and went for a nice walk at lunchtime. Ate some Rich Tea biscuits this evening though, I seem to reach for biscuits when I'm tired. I think I should stop buying them but I can already anticipate the roars of anguish from the rest of the household if I do that.

Speaking of anguish, does anyone else's household behave like the world is ending if the internet goes down? If it happens, there are great wailings and gnashings of teeth all over the house followed by devices being dropped, doors opening, lavish oaths & expletives and general mayhem. Elapsed time between internet going down and chaos breaking out is less than 10 seconds :rotfl:.

My kids have never know life without the internet, not really. I can still recall the very first time we connected our big old desktop PC to the 'information superhighway' and saw that spinning globe on internet explorer. Now I can't imagine life without it myself.

I wouldn't be chatting to all your lovely MSE people for a start. I honestly feel that without MSE, we would have at some stage in the past 10 years lost our house due to financial idiocy. MSE and all the lovely people who hang around on here, have saved us so here's to all you lovely people :beer:.

See you anon.
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Hiya, I've just caught up with your diary. Great read so far.

But I can't believe you mentioned that C word! :eek: Nooooooo :D

I'm subscribing :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Speaking of anguish, does anyone else's household behave like the world is ending if the internet goes down? If it happens, there are great wailings and gnashings of teeth all over the house followed by devices being dropped, doors opening, lavish oaths & expletives and general mayhem. Elapsed time between internet going down and chaos breaking out is less than 10 seconds :rotfl:.

Hee hee - that's me :D

I can remember life without the internet and also the choice between phone and internet! But I can't be without it now. It's not that I use it for entertainment, I'd rather read a book, but I use it for all my life admin, banking etc. Not to mention ebay, so it's like a limb cut off if it's gone!

I don't know what I would do if I hadn't found MSE either, not to mention all you lovely lot!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • I was out at client premises this week in a particularly rural area. I asked for access to their wifi and when they finished laughing, they explained that they didn't even have broadband and I was there for three days with only intermittent mobile signal. It was weird.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was out at client premises this week in a particularly rural area. I asked for access to their wifi and when they finished laughing, they explained that they didn't even have broadband and I was there for three days with only intermittent mobile signal. It was weird.

But liberating?? I love it when I am 'out of touch' and actively seek it..............:D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • If I'd known in advance, I'd have been a lot happier.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure