Options
2»

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never said you pay tax on ISA.
    1.6% is for leading 1 year, not Coventry.
    1.6 x 5 = 8 not 8.2

Are you alright?
    Obviously not, as I can't multiply 1.6 by 5! My apologies, I see that you had actually calculated a compound interest rate to one decimal place.
    You did however query whether you could lose tax-free status on an ISA.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,475 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Obviously not, as I can't multiply 1.6 by 5! My apologies, I see that you had actually calculated a compound interest rate to one decimal place.
    You did however query whether you could lose tax-free status on an ISA.
    It isn't even correct to 1 decimal place as that would be 8.3%. Clearly this poster is engaging in a deliberate wind-up.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Clearly this poster is engaging in a deliberate wind-up.
    I have to disagree; the OP is just confused (as indeed I was!). I really don't understand this
    Surely it can't be 2.4% at maturity (2020)- why wait 5 years for 2.4% when you can easily do 1.6% for 1 year.
    If you wait 5 years, then surely you have got the 2.4% for each and every year.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,475 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to disagree; the OP is just confused (as indeed I was!). I really don't understand this If you wait 5 years, then surely you have got the 2.4% for each and every year.
    OP is treating an interest rate as a compound return figure.

OP later comes out with the "1.6 x 5 = 8 not 8.2", yet in the first post comes up with "This 2.4% will be compounded over the 5 years meaning I will get 12.5% if I leave until maturity?" Clearly that original compound interest calculation is a little more sophisticated than 2.4 x 5.

Troll. Do not feed.
  • rosalinda88
    rosalinda88 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    OP is treating an interest rate as a compound return figure.

OP later comes out with the "1.6 x 5 = 8 not 8.2", yet in the first post comes up with "This 2.4% will be compounded over the 5 years meaning I will get 12.5% if I leave until maturity?" Clearly that original compound interest calculation is a little more sophisticated than 2.4 x 5.

Troll. Do not feed.

12.5% matches the return on end sum after 5 years as in that long post with 10k start, just like the 8.2%.

If anybody is "trolling" it is messages saying "you're wrong, you don't get it, you don't understand" and then posting numbers that match what I've been saying.

You can re-read the thread again if you like. Anyway, this time I really am done with this thread.

Peace.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    People were trying to help the OP understand, for example, the difference between AER and overall return but it seems the OP is totally determined to stick with their incorrect understanding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure