Banishing boredom

How do you do it?

Time's always a limited commodity for me and I am always rushing around getting things done, wishing I had more time....but it's suddenly hit me over the last few weeks that I am totally bored with everything. I achieved lots of things early in life through graft, and now I don't know what.....its making me feel v restless.

Not interested in "setting goals" etc, just want to be interested in stuff again.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• amistupid
    amistupid Posts: 55,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Spend more time on here, then you'll really know what boredom is. :)
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mindfulness and meditation - learn how to be grateful and at peace during the most mundane and tedious moments which probably make up 90% of our life, how not to crave, how to be compassionate towards yourself, how to cleanse your mind of pointless thoughts.

Someone once said that most of the world's problems or conflicts stem from not humans not being able to sit on their own in a room....

Scientists recently ran an experiment putting people in their own in a room with a button the people knew would provide a shock. Many of the participants actually preferred to electrocute themselves to give them some form of stimulation because they couldn't cope with their own company. And they weren't even in the room for an extended period before they started hurting themselves...

So learn how to just 'be'.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Study, the best cure for boredom and depression.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Study, the best cure for boredom and depression.
    Are you joking?

I study non-stop, it's part of my work! My beloved guest commented that the only rooms in the house that don't host bookshelves are my bathrooms!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Isn't being bored with everything a sign of depression, VfM? Maybe worth finding one of those online "are you depressed?" check list things and quickly run through it so you know what you're dealing with.

Personally I don't often get bored, probably as I was an only child of working parents so spent an awful lot of my childhood on my own.... tended to make my own entertainment using very limited resources. When I do get a bit fed up though I find getting outdoors and walking is great for cheering me up. Oh and reading something a bit more challenging than I'd normally pick is good too.
  • You're not happy. Find out why. You spend all your time avoiding finding out about yourself as a distraction. There is a formula for happiness, and one criteria is telling others about an achievement of yours every day. Exercise is another. I studied psychology when I was in the same situation as you and then trained as a psychotherapist. I did that for many years and found helping people very satisfying. Now I'm retired and write adventure books. Discovering yourself is an adventure.

Good luck.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not interested in "setting goals" etc, just want to be interested in stuff again.

Could be mild depression, could be exhaustion, or could be that you don't know how to be interested in things without setting yourself goals.

Have you considered sport? Many people in your situation find that attempting a sporting goal does give them the mental and physical energy back that they crave.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    So watch Kevin McCloud's series about a new life somewhere extreme then go take a sabbatical from life.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Are you joking?

I study non-stop, it's part of my work! My beloved guest commented that the only rooms in the house that don't host bookshelves are my bathrooms!

I'm not joking.

I don't think we're talking about the same kind of studying if you're doing it as part of your job and it's boring.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Don't worry you get used to it after about 20 years, trust me I know, I am up to 34 years now.
    The evenings are the hardest to find things to fill your time, especially if you are not a social animal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure