Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Stop Sky for 2 months then re start ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
10 replies 1.8K views
hanwellmikehanwellmike Forumite
181 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
I pay about £67 a month for my Sky package and I have a 2 month holiday planned for later in the year. Is it a simple matter to cancel the complete package for 2 months and re start it when I get home? Or should I just downgrade the package to the cheapest possible and restart when I get home ? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pay about £67 a month for my Sky package and I have a 2 month holiday planned for later in the year. Is it a simple matter to cancel the complete package for 2 months and re start it when I get home? Or should I just downgrade the package to the cheapest possible and restart when I get home ? Thanks in advance.

Provided that you give the required month's notice and are not in minimum term for an offer, they are likely to give you a good offer to return.
  • hanwellmikehanwellmike Forumite
    181 Posts
    Thanks. I am not looking to ditch them altogether. It would suit me to suspend the full contract when away from home for a long time. I thought Sky might not be keen with customers turning the tap on and off. Especially for short periods.
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I am not looking to ditch them altogether. It would suit me to suspend the full contract when away from home for a long time. I thought Sky might not be keen with customers turning the tap on and off. Especially for short periods.

Unlike broadband and phone, the tv service can be switched back on within hours (even less?). They will happily take you back, but any special offer will probably entail committing to a new 12 month term.
  • MoneymakerMoneymaker Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I would reduce it to the minimum "because I can't afford it". DON'T tell anyone your house will be empty for 2 months (for obvious reasons). If they hassle you just tell them you've been made redundant but you have a job offer for 2 months time.
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    I would reduce it to the minimum "because I can't afford it". DON'T tell anyone your house will be empty for 2 months (for obvious reasons). If they hassle you just tell them you've been made redundant but you have a job offer for 2 months time.

If out of minimum term, the OP can just give 31 days notice to cancel, then reorder later, when a special offer is very likely to have been made. There is no need to say why they are cancelling, though saying it's a money matter may help cut the length of the call.

Why pay for the cheapest pack for two months when there is no need to pay at all ?
  • Thank you all for the feedback. I am 2 years into my contract so I can cancel anytime. I was not sure how easy it was to turn the contract on and off and if there was any notice required. I thought that maybe by reducing my package / not cancelling completely (a) there would be no notice required and (b) it would be easier to re start the full package. I will find out when the time comes.
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last year, I cancelled my tv,as my free year ended, fully intending to use the humax box again. Just after switch off, I rang to negotiate phone and broadband, was given a good offer, so asked for a tv deal and accepted 50% off. The tv was switched back on that day.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not 'turning the contract off and on' You are cancelling it, by giving your 30 days notice, then starting a new contract after 2 months-which will bind you to a new minimum term of 12m.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Provided that you give the required month's notice and are not in minimum term for an offer, they are likely to give you a good offer to return
  • moggiemoggie Forumite
    12 Posts
    I cancelled yesterday by live chat and was offered 50% off for 10months on a 12 month contract. Logged into mysky this morning and had an offer of 50% 0ff for 12 months.

I'd give 31 days notice, cancel, and when you return log into your my sky account and there will be an offer waiting for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals