edited 9 September 2015 at 12:32PM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
19 replies 4.3K views
Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
9.6K posts
I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler Savvy Shopper! Stoptober Survivor
✭✭✭✭
edited 9 September 2015 at 12:32PM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
Does anyone else have this at home?

Generally I'm the MoneySaver, recycler, upcycler in my home and I often struggle to get the other half on the same wavelength.

I turn almost empty shampoo and shower gel bottles upside down to get the last drops out of them the next time I have a shower.

When I come back, though, they've been left the right way up and it takes ages to get the last drops out! AAAGGHH! :eek:
shampoogelbottles.JPG

I am posting this very much tongue-in-cheek - compared with global events happening in the world this is tiny in comparison - but it's a bugbear all the same!

Is this one of your recycling/upcycling pet peeves?

What are yours?

7-13 September is #ZeroWasteWeek. We're working with several organisations to highlight how much you could save by re-using and recycling. See the full Zero Waste Week info.
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually me and the OH are on the same level with bottle turning! I usually add some water to the last bit to get every last drop out :p
  • S0litaireS0litaire Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple solution...

Next time you buy shampoo / shower gel, buy the bottles with the hook that you hang. Then once it's finished buy your regular brand and refill the hooked container. ;)
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 3 section wall mounted dispensor in my shower. A pump for Shampoo, Shower Gel & Conditioner. It means I can buy shampoo & shower gel in larger containers which means a lower price per ml and less packagaing overall.

When I refill the dispensors I rest the bottles upside down on top for the day, so every last drop runs into the dispensor meaning I don't even have to waste precious water rinsing them out.

Waste not want not!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Living alone means I don't have this problem, but I can understand how annoying it is. I also turn jars/mayo bottles upside down as well.Sauce bottles get a splash of vinegar in to get every drop out, or if I am using a pour -over sauce (very rare) I will put a dash of water in ,put the top back on and give it a good shake as I want to get every bit out :)Toothpaste I cut the bottom of the tube off to get the last bits out as well I bought it so why not use it all up:)
    Tinned stuff gets the splash of water as well to make sure the tin is empty before recycling it
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this at home?

Generally I'm the MoneySaver, recycler, upcycler in my home and I often struggle to get the other half on the same wavelength.

I turn almost empty shampoo and shower gel bottles upside down to get the last drops out of them the next time I have a shower.

When I come back, though, they've been left the right way up and it takes ages to get the last drops out! AAAGGHH! :eek:
    shampoogelbottles.JPG

I am posting this very much tongue-in-cheek - compared with global events happening in the world this is tiny in comparison - but it's a bugbear all the same!

Is this one of your recycling/upcycling pet peeves?

What are yours?

Join in Upcycling and recycling MoneySaving polls, tips and chat in our Recycle Week Hub.
    You need a new partner....

I have to stop DW throwing away the toothpaste when there are 5 or 6 determined squeezes still in it. Now she just starts the new one and I use the dregs.
    I think....
  • oystercatcheroystercatcher Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a problem with finding precariously balanced upside down bottles just in front of the products I wish to use. I am clumsy due to disability and always seem to end up with a 'domino effect' of collapsing bottles falling all over the bathroom when I just wanted to quickly brush my teeth !

Bending over to pick them up causes vertigo and that's me feeling ill for a couple of hours ! So your upside down bottle may well be found in the recycling bin if I am around !!
  • jack_pottjack_pott Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What annoy me are the upside down sauce bottles, they've tried at least three different designs of top, all of them useless. I use them to refill an upright bottle, and then just turn it upside down for the last dregs.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K posts
    I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler Savvy Shopper! Stoptober Survivor
    ✭✭✭✭
    jack_pott wrote: »
    What annoy me are the upside down sauce bottles, they've tried at least three different designs of top, all of them useless. I use them to refill an upright bottle, and then just turn it upside down for the last dregs.

So true! How do you find keeping the ordinary ones upright though? They're constantly falling over and out of my cupboard!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • jack_pottjack_pott Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    So true! How do you find keeping the ordinary ones upright though? They're constantly falling over and out of my cupboard!

No, I don't have them falling over particularly. I was thinking about this thread when I rinsed the last out of the shampoo in the shower this morning, it reminds me of when we used to go and stay with family when I was a kid. They had a kitchen cupboard with two or three half-empty sauce bottles in: they didn't finish one before starting the next. That would drive me up the wall! :D
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
  • kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    12K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cut shampoo / condition bottles in half, and scoop enough out for my hair, it also stops OH turning them back up the right way. :)
    :) Sun, Sea :)

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support