Pets after Death

Options

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    I know quiet a lot about the RSPCA I know that particularly if someone has died or gone into hospital they will not read the chip they very rarely read if lost they just put the up for re-home or put down - I do not have much faith in them.

I think it is down to putting signs up around the house hoping plod can or want to read them.
    That's without a will yes and your pets could be taken from your home and put into care. They won't do anything drastic until the solicitor has got in contact with them. If the police have called them out to pick them up they will know they are part of an estate and will care for them.

Yes they do put healthy animals down if they can't find a home and I know that's what you're afraid of...but for a few days it'll be fine. Just get your will written and let your friends, neighbours and family know and if they do end up there they can retrieve them.

You could put a collar and tag on them with emergency contact phone numbers which "if read" could help find where their next home might be.

If it were me I'd get in contact with your local police force and find out who they contact in case of accidental and sudden death of the owners and then get in contact with the shelter and let them know what your wishes are.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    No obviously sending them to people that care of our choice
    Have you ascertained whether they are willing to have them?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's an advert on the telly for this. I think it's the RSPCA that come and collect them and make sure your wishes are carried out.

For "instructions" you could put something engraved on the dog's collar and just make sure everybody you speak to knows about it :)

Edit: Ah, homeforlife http://www.homeforlife.org.uk/ - they find it a new home they say.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's an advert on the telly for this. I think it's the RSPCA that come and collect them and make sure your wishes are carried out.

For "instructions" you could put something engraved on the dog's collar and just make sure everybody you speak to knows about it :)

Edit: Ah, homeforlife http://www.homeforlife.org.uk/ - they find it a new home they say.
    If you were to read between the lines...this is what you're supposed to have in your will....

“In the event that any pet animal of mine survives me and I have made no other provisions for its care I direct my Trustees to notify the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Wilberforce Way Southwater Horsham RH13 9RS (registered charity number 219099) as soon as practicable after my death and to request the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals both to relieve them of responsibility for the animal and to endeavour to place it in a suitable home as soon as practicable the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals having absolute discretion to deal with the welfare of the animal as it considers fit and I direct also that (the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals having accepted such a request) the animal shall not form part of my residuary estate.”

The words "endeavour" and "as it considers fit" don't exactly fill me with confidence. For example a 15 year old dog with some health issues isn't going to rehomeable is it.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leave some money to the Cinnamon Trust and ask that they rehome your pets.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't trust big 'charities' like the RSPCA, but if I didn't have family, would make contact with a small rescue. (Actually, I have anyway)

These are usually run by unpaid volunteers, with no fat cat salaries, by people who really care. Many keep their animals in foster homes, so they are not exposed to the stress of kennels. Fosterers get to know them well and so find suitable homes, based on living with that animal and not just on observation while in a kennel/cage/pen.

These rescues always need help, so volunteering for them (eg offering to exercise, foster, help with charity stalls or provide items to sell) helps animals, makes you feel good and you get to know them and can be assured that they will look after your pet when the time comes.

A bequest, even a small one, would always be welcome, too.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    That's without a will yes and your pets could be taken from your home and put into care. They won't do anything drastic until the solicitor has got in contact with them. If the police have called them out to pick them up they will know they are part of an estate and will care for them.

Yes they do put healthy animals down if they can't find a home and I know that's what you're afraid of...but for a few days it'll be fine. Just get your will written and let your friends, neighbours and family know and if they do end up there they can retrieve them.

You could put a collar and tag on them with emergency contact phone numbers which "if read" could help find where their next home might be.

If it were me I'd get in contact with your local police force and find out who they contact in case of accidental and sudden death of the owners and then get in contact with the shelter and let them know what your wishes are.

Our wills are already written with the attached codicils but what I am saying is they are in my safe in the house and the plod or who ever has to break in will not know where they are or their existance.

How can I make them aware and or take any notice?
  • aardvaak
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Have you ascertained whether they are willing to have them?

Yes absolutely they have agreed
  • aardvaak
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    If you were to read between the lines...this is what you're supposed to have in your will....

“In the event that any pet animal of mine survives me and I have made no other provisions for its care I direct my Trustees to notify the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Wilberforce Way Southwater Horsham RH13 9RS (registered charity number 219099) as soon as practicable after my death and to request the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals both to relieve them of responsibility for the animal and to endeavour to place it in a suitable home as soon as practicable the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals having absolute discretion to deal with the welfare of the animal as it considers fit and I direct also that (the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals having accepted such a request) the animal shall not form part of my residuary estate.”

The words "endeavour" and "as it considers fit" don't exactly fill me with confidence. For example a 15 year old dog with some health issues isn't going to rehomeable is it.

I do not want them anywhere near the RSPCA
  • aardvaak
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Leave some money to the Cinnamon Trust and ask that they rehome your pets.

But I already have people willing to have them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport