sky multi room with virgin phone line?

silvercar
silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
So chatting to the virgin salesman, he thinks that Sky HD+ on demand multi room won't work with a virgin phone line plugged into it. Something about the ability to buy on demand can't be activated through a virgin phone line???

Anyone know what this means and if it is true?
I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Comments

• Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 June 2015 at 6:16AM
    We had Sky installed last year and our phone line was not connected to the box. It's worked perfectly.

Although we have not bought anything on demand, I am sure we could because the box is wirelessly connected to the internet.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    silvercar wrote: »
    So chatting to the virgin salesman, he thinks that Sky HD+ on demand multi room won't work with a virgin phone line plugged into it. Something about the ability to buy on demand can't be activated through a virgin phone line???

Anyone know what this means and if it is true?

No it's not true. I had Sky connected to a Virgin phone line for years and never encountered any issues.

Anyone joining Sky now will not need to have a phone line connected in any case as all new boxes are connected wirelessly to your router and all on demand stuff is handled that way.
  • silvercar
    jem16 wrote: »
    No it's not true. I had Sky connected to a Virgin phone line for years and never encountered any issues.

Anyone joining Sky now will not need to have a phone line connected in any case as all new boxes are connected wirelessly to your router and all on demand stuff is handled that way.

Interesting. Spoke to Virgin again today and they were adamant that (a) the Sky boxes still need to be connected if you have multi room and (b) that connection won't work properly with a virgin line.

Anyway its irrelevant now as we are moving everything over to Virgin.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Terry98 wrote: »

Although we have not bought anything on demand, I am sure we could because the box is wirelessly connected to the internet.

You can get free On Demand material. ie catchup from Freesat and Sky's own programmes.
  • jem16
    Interesting. Spoke to Virgin again today and they were adamant that (a) the Sky boxes still need to be connected if you have multi room and

Not been needed for new subscribers since December 2013. All that's required is that the boxes are connected to the internet which they would be if you wanted to use On Demand. It's not even called multiroom anymore but multiscreen.

T&C here;

http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_TV_Contract.pdf

Specifically P12.
    (b) that connection won't work properly with a virgin line.

I had Virgin when it was obligatory that all boxes using a multiroom sub were connected. At that time there was no internet connection to Sky. All the content worked fine including the old Anytime. I could even connect to my Sky Account through my Virgin telephone line.
    Anyway its irrelevant now as we are moving everything over to Virgin.

I would be more concerned that Virgin are telling porkies to get your business.
  • silvercar
    jem16 wrote: »
    Not been needed for new subscribers since December 2013. All that's required is that the boxes are connected to the internet which they would be if you wanted to use On Demand. It's not even called multiroom anymore but multiscreen.

T&C here;

http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_TV_Contract.pdf

Specifically P12.

I had Virgin when it was obligatory that all boxes using a multiroom sub were connected. At that time there was no internet connection to Sky. All the content worked fine including the old Anytime. I could even connect to my Sky Account through my Virgin telephone line.

I would be more concerned that Virgin are telling porkies to get your business.

It was a bit weird, the guy from Virgin Head Office phoned to say that it wasn't possible to have the phone with virgin if I wanted to keep Sky and we were talking about my internet only deal, so it wasn't a sales talk. I've got other business with them, so it was definitely a "keep the customer happy" call rather than a sales pitch.
  • jem16
    It was a bit weird, the guy from Virgin Head Office phoned to say that it wasn't possible to have the phone with virgin if I wanted to keep Sky and we were talking about my internet only deal, so it wasn't a sales talk. I've got other business with them, so it was definitely a "keep the customer happy" call rather than a sales pitch.

Sounds very much like a sales talk to me. You've now gone from being an Internet only customer to having everything with them and taking business away from their main competitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure