Business TV licence ?

Options
A small retail business uses a tv for background noise - only dvd's are played and never the "tv" (there is not even an aerial).

Is a tv licence required?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No..........

ETA
    Although there may be a question about royalties on the stuff they play E.G. PRS fees

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    PPL are likely to visit and threaten a huge 'fine' (this is their enforcement model, they do have people going shop to shop), might be worth pre-empting

http://www.ppluk.com/
  • Opinion
    Opinion Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    As said before, PRS and PPL go shop to shop. They also use fake Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn profiles. Again, as said above, PPL are likely to threaten a huge 'fine' but from experience they're somewhat open to negotiation and will let you spread payments over a number of months. PRS are slightly easier to deal with.

Make sure you look in to EXACTLY what and who they are collecting for as they're not exactly forthcoming. A friend of mine managed to get his PRS bill down about 90% because of a technicality.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't know a great deal about PRS/PPL, but I do know a fair bit about TV Licensing.

Based on your description, you don't need a TV Licence.

My advice is, have no communication with BBC/TVL (which includes not responding to their letters, phone calls etc., and not completing any declarations, online or otherwise), do not engaging in conversation with their doorstep callers, and, most importantly, DO NOT SIGNING ANYTHING!
  • Acc72
    Acc72 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I don't know a great deal about PRS/PPL, but I do know a fair bit about TV Licensing.

Based on your description, you don't need a TV Licence.

My advice is, have no communication with BBC/TVL (which includes not responding to their letters, phone calls etc., and not completing any declarations, online or otherwise), do not engaging in conversation with their doorstep callers, and, most importantly, DO NOT SIGNING ANYTHING!

Yikes Bob ! - I was going to complete the online "we don't need a licence"

Is this not a good idea ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Acc72 wrote: »

If you want to continue to receive ever increasingly theatening letters on a monthly basis, and even the odd personal call to check what you are up to (probably when your shop is full of customers), then don't tell 'em, Pike!

Otherwise, best to let them know.

(Only trouble is, it'll only keep them from your door for a few months until they start again ... so you'll have to tell 'em again when that happens)
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    And also tell PRS & PPL to p**s off....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Acc72 wrote: »

Telling them won't help, because they won't believe you anyway.

Personally (and I'm speaking from 5.5 years of personal experience), I'd just ignore them, and their Threat-O-Grams.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    And also tell PRS & PPL to p**s off....

Yes, another bunch of bloodsucking parasites. Performers get royalties when their miserable din is played on the radio/TV, but not satisfied, they also leech off businesses who have a sound device in earshot of customers. Scum!
  • Opinion
    Opinion Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    PPL tried to charge us for music played in customer toilets. We don't have speakers in our toilets so we contested it- they tried to argue that the noise bled through from the floor below and that was tantamount to "playing music in the customer bathrooms." Yeah. Right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure