🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Twitter warning: It now automatically plays videos, so beware big bills

Options
If you use Twitter on an iPad or iPhone, check your settings now, as its new video 'autoplay' could mean big bills...
Read the full story:

Twitter warning: It now automatically plays videos, so beware big bills

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• BBC_Think_Tank
    Options
    We are all getting used to the idea that these big "social" sites know everything about us - along with our favourite search engines - but is it not scary (if true) that "Twitter says those with high data rates or low bandwidth on their devices will be opted out of autoplay to avoid unexpected charges or poor performance"?

Disregarding (for the moment) the question "Why?"
    would they know this focus on the question "How?".

Does Twitter actually know the details of my contract with my Mobile provider / ISP? They may (or may not) know the total bandwidth at my disposal, almost certainly can measure the bandwidth they see at their end but neither comes close to the concept of "HighData Rates"!

Or could it be (sotto voce): it's all just BS to try and pacify an antagonised userbase?
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on a 500MB data tariff and am certainly not a high data user (outside wifi) but this setting was defaulted to on for me.

Could have potentially caused me to run out of data as I do like to have a flick through Twitter waiting for the bus/on lunch etc, so thanks for the heads up MSE.

Just another reason I'm glad I switched to PAYG - no shock bills here but running of of data would have been fairly annoying.
  • dt018a5490
    Options
    This practice should be banned as it is no different to the bad practice of old tick boxes on PPI ...People should not be put in positions of unexpected charges in any way...Vodafone are suppose to let you know when your usage exceeds it limit, but this is untrue as its happens to people I know, false corrupt practice.People should be in the position to choose to opt in NOT out.. this is underhanded form of stealing...
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    dt018a5490 wrote: »
    ...Vodafone are suppose to let you know when your usage exceeds it limit,

Maybe it was those people who told you that. Or perhaps you dreamt it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How do you actually disable it on an iPhone?
    I've looked on settings and The app but can't see it anywhere.
  • SeduLOUs
    Options
    How do you actually disable it on an iPhone?
    I've looked on settings and The app but can't see it anywhere.

Open Twitter app, go to your profile by clicking 'me' in bottom right corner, then click on the cog wheel under your cover photo (in between your profile pic and the 'edit profile' button). Select 'settings' and then 'video autoplay'.

The default is to autoplay everything including when using mobile data, but you can choose to turn off autoplay completely, or let it autoplay videos only when connected to wifi.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    Open Twitter app, go to your profile by clicking 'me' in bottom right corner, then click on the cog wheel under your cover photo (in between your profile pic and the 'edit profile' button). Select 'settings' and then 'video autoplay'.

The default is to autoplay everything including when using mobile data, but you can choose to turn off autoplay completely, or let it autoplay videos only when connected to wifi.
    Nice one.
    You don't expect that sort of thing from Twitter... Its more like a Facebook trick
  • SeduLOUs
    edited 26 June 2015 at 9:39AM
    Options
    Nice one.
    You don't expect that sort of thing from Twitter... Its more like a Facebook trick

I actually like autoplay when browsing on the web, it's only a problem when using limited mobile data.

There's a similar issue with iMessage and other related data messaging apps though - nice clever system to use data instead of text messaging which is fabulous for sending photos without using an MMS, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for messaging when out and about as I have unlimited texts but very limited data.

AFAIK there's no way to use iMessage 'only' when on wifi, and if I'm out and about and someone decides to send me 50 photos of their dog being cute my phone just downloads them whether I feel like looking at them or not - it's just on all the time (providing a data signal can be found).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport