BT broadband any good?

I'm based in East London leytonstone, I want to switch from VM to BT. I can't get infinity because of my area and according to BT's website, I can only get up to 8MB. Realistically, how many MB woud I get?

when I did the speed test with VM, i can get about 10-15 MB.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends if your VM is cable or down the slower BT Line .
  • georgemac_2
    georgemac_2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    The broadband checkers will give you a true feel of the speed you can achieve - it depends how far you are from the exchange.

BT can be very good, but in my experience when it goes wrong they can be both very bad and very good. They are loathe to send out an engineer, and this is £130 cost to you if it turns out fault is not up to the master socket.

Customer service in my experience from India is very bad, from the UK generally quite good now - once you get escalated to level 2 support.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    If your line can only handle 8Mb then that's what you will get with all providers. Speed depends largely on line quality and distance from the exchange - no one can give you a definitive answer on what sort of speed you will actually get.

BT's product is fine, but their customer service is dire, script read and down right insulting.
  • georgemac_2
    georgemac_2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    https://www.bt.com/speedtest

this will tell you the speed you can get and what products you can get.

My experience is speed can slow during peak periods - think this is the same for all providers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure