Tesco Mobile or not..?

Options
wba31
wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
My father's contract with T-Mobile has come to an end and his iPhone 4 is playing up so he would like an upgrade. He wants to stick with an iphone as he knows the OS and likes it's flexibility. Plus i know how it works if he needs help.

He wants a 64gb iphone 6, and to upgrade with EE he is look at £199 up front + £45 a month over 2 years - total £1279 over 24 months

with Tesco mobile he has no upfront cost, a phone payment of £28 a month, plus monthly usage of £15 totalling £43 a month or £1032 over 24 months

So the Tesco deal wins financially hands down, but whats the catch? is the network coverage worse (he lives and works in Birmingham so not out in the sticks)? is there a different catch that im missing? or is the deal that good and worth going for?

Comments

• Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    wba31 wrote: »
    So the Tesco deal wins financially hands down, but whats the catch? is the network coverage worse (he lives and works in Birmingham so not out in the sticks)? is there a different catch that im missing? or is the deal that good and worth going for?
    Tesco uses O2 and as with all networks it can vary from area to area.
    You can check online using his postcode to see what the signal is supposed to be like although they are guide purposes only, the proof is in the pudding.
    Ideally before you sign to any network contract is to try a payg sim in the house first
    It's not just about the money
  • afzaal1988
    afzaal1988 Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or you could go with Giffgaff who also use o2 network just like tesco and iphone 6 is £21.71 plus £15 for allowance(which you can cancel at anytime) total £36.71 instead of £43 with tesco
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    afzaal1988 wrote: »
    Or you could go with Giffgaff who also use o2 network just like tesco and iphone 6 is £21.71 plus £15 for allowance(which you can cancel at anytime) total £36.71 instead of £43 with tesco

The iPhone the OP wants would be £25.83 a month on Giffgaff with a total monthly payment of £40.83 and a one off first payment of £40.

Being on Tesco is probably worth £2.27 a month.
    ====
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Similarly if OP's father also shops at Tesco and has a Clubcard he can accrue points on his monthly tariff.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • kamalaggi
    kamalaggi Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    If you can afford it buy the phone outright which is £619 from Apple store then get a sim only deal which is a tenner a month from tesco where you get 1 GB data, 1000 mins and 5000 text on a 18 month contract
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kamalaggi wrote: »
    If you can afford it buy the phone outright which is £619 from Apple store then get a sim only deal which is a tenner a month from tesco where you get 1 GB data, 1000 mins and 5000 text on a 18 month contract

In that scenario it would be cheaper to buy from Giffgaff, the phone is only £589 (though you do need a Giffgaff sim to order, so might have to add a single goodybag to the order), cheapest goodybag is £5, making it £594.
    ====
  • albionrovers
    albionrovers Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    Options
    kamalaggi wrote: »

This. I pay an extra £2.50 a month for 2GB data and 1500 minutes for the 18 months. Plus I have free family perks taking my data up to 2250GB.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's definitely the iPhone 6 64GB he wants, then this deal is the best I believe - total cost works out approx £889.

EE through Mobiles.co.uk (via uSwitch.com)
    £34.99 per month
    £50 one-off handset cost
    1000 minutes
    Unlimited texts
    2 GB of 4G data
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't comprehend spending those sums of money on a smartphone. My Lumia is £18 per month on O2 and OH has just got a HTC M8S for £22 on Vodafone and I think those prices are verging on excessive!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure